Senoia Raceway looks to put off-week in rear-view mirror
Last Saturday, regular drivers at Senoia Raceway spoke for their disdain for the Jewel Series double-features through their absence at the 3/8-mile clay track .
As the race schedule gets ready to continue tonight, promoter Tim Moses seems to be listening to the them, after making a couple of tough decisions.
After a less than successful week of attendance, Moses stated that the track would no longer conduct Jewel Series events or the double-feature nights.
“Hey, if they don’t like it, we will just do away with it,” Moses said. “We were trying to create something special for the fans without rais- ing the admission ticket. The drivers did not think the plan was fair to them. Simple. We won’t do it any longer.”
The last remaining Jewel Series event which was slated for Sept. 6, has now been changed to a weekly racing series event with a fan autograph session scheduled to take place prior to racing.
Senoia Raceway continues to offer local racing fans unique activities including free grandstand admission tonight for children 12-and- under. Racing will include division features in Late Models, B Cadets, Hobby Stocks, Bomber, Mini Stock and Legends Cars.
The pit gates open tonight at 5 p.m., and grandstands at 6. Hot laps start at 7:30 and racing is set for 8.
The other major decision made by Moses on Monday was that the clay track is discontinuing its weekly Modified Mini division. Last week marked the fourth time this season a race was not conducted in the four cylinder division due to only one competitor.
“It’s always a tough decision when you have to make a change,” explained Moses. “Somebody is always going to be upset and feel wronged. I have been giving the current drivers in the class every opportunity to build the class and support the program. I have paid the purse despite many nights only two or three cars showed up. Saturday night was the fourth time only a single driver showed.”
The current points leader in the Modified Mini, Dorough Bright of Newnan, informed Moses on Saturday night he would just put a stock engine in his racer and go back to competing in the Mini Stock division. Bright’s attitude changed on Monday claiming on a social media that he will take his car elsewhere.
“That kind of surprised me,” said Moses. “I cannot tell these guys where to run. I can only hope they see my consistency in the operation and choose to support our track.”