Cowetans on boards and authorities honored
There are currently 23 boards and authorities comprised of more than 90 citizens appointed by the Coweta County Board of Commissioners.
Those serving on these boards and authorities were honored at a 'thank-you' dinner Nov. 14 at the Coweta County Fairgrounds and Conference Center. County government could not function properly without the help and expertise of those who have agreed to serve and provide invaluable service over countless hours, and all with no compensation, noted Coweta County Administrator Michael Fouts.
At the dinner Coweta County took a moment to thank the citizen members of the boards and authorities for their role in making local government work.
More than 90 Cowetans appointed by the Coweta Board of Commissioners represent the public on 23 boards and authorities, all without compensation. These bodies and those who serve are:
• 5311 Transit Coordinating Committee has seven members meeting quarterly to review rules, policies, and operational data for the Dial-A-Ride program. Members: Paul Poole, Tom Corker, Robert Hiett, Tavores Edwards, Ryan Fisher, David Fountain and Patricia Palmer.
• Newnan-Coweta County Airport Authority has seven members. Develops and maintains the Newnan-Coweta County Airport. Members: Frank Wilkinson, Steve Swope, Ronny Jones, Dale Pepper, Bill Waldo, Lee Moody and Alan Starr. Airport manager is Calvin Walker.
• Animal Control Board works with local animal rescue organizations find loving families for homeless and abandoned animals. The board also determines classification and actions of animals such as those deemed dangerous. Five members: Vicky Jones, Judi Conger, Libby Parham, Wayne Morris, DVM, Paul Carlton. Board liaison is Coweta County Prison Warden Bill McKenzie.
• Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities Regional Planning Board represents 33 counties. The main objective of the board is to identify community needs and gaps in service, making recommendations based on findings. Three Coweta members: Sandra Smith, John Thompson and Neydi Belmonti.
• Business License and Tax Rate Review and Appeal Board serves as an appeals committee for the business tax department for items such as denial, suspension or revocation of a certificate. The committee annually reviews all business tax rates, fees, and categories, making recommendations to the board of commissioners as to adjustments. Members: Woodie Wood Jr., Kay Cawthon, Claude Vickers, Ronnie Clotfelter and Jimmy Davenport. Liaison is Business License Director Joy Thompson.
• Community Action For Improvement Board meets monthly to make recommendations on efforts including Head Start, weatherization, social services and Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program. Coweta's representative on the board of the regional organization, based in LaGrange, is Pastor Curtis Connally.
• Convention and Visitors Bureau is the county's central information outlet for tourists, visitors and residents alike. The CVB represents local destinations, municipalities, hotels and retail businesses by promoting their services to those visiting or local residents. The CVB team works to promote Coweta as a tourist destination and serves as a point of contact for convention and event planners, tour operators and visitors. Meeting monthly are members: Nancy Roy, Mike Barber, Norma Haynes, Dean Jackson and Smith Pass. Liaisons: Event Services Director Tray Baggarly and CVB Coordinator Lorraine LaRue.
• Development Authorities is the primary point of contact for economic development activities in Coweta County. The five-member Coweta County Development Authority was created in 1966 working together with the seven-member Development Authority of Coweta County, established by legislation in 1973, to support and enhance economic development. Members: Mike Barber, Rob Brass, Jim McGuffey, David Brown, Steve Stripling, Terry Daviston, Jim Mottola and Jan Alligood. Liaisons are Development Authority President Greg Wright and Executive Assistant Brenda Washington.
• Board of Elections is composed of three members: one Republican, one Democrat, and one appointed by the Commissioners. The board conducts county elections, including programing equipment, preparing ballots, selecting polling places, training poll workers, qualifying candidates and publishing notices. Members: Coweta Elections Superintendent Jane Scoggins, Ralph Presley, Freddi Aliffi.
• Emergency Medical Service Council - Coweta is a member of the Region 4 EMS Council which represents West Central Ga. in matters concerning zoning and the implementation of state's emergency medical systems communication program. Meeting quarterly are members: Johnny Teeters, Jeffrey Denney, Billy Watson and a representative from the county's EMS provider and from Piedmont Newnan Hospital. Liaisons: Chief Teeters and Chief Denney.
• Division of Family and Children's Services Board of Directors is part of the Ga. Department of Human Services and is responsible for state programs for welfare, employment support, protecting children, and foster care. Members: Tippie Conner, Ame Whitlock, Elaine Jordan, Karen Turley and Carrie Pritchett.
• Board of Health has two divisions, physical and environmental working daily to monitor quality of water, food, and personal health risk protection and prevention. Members: Paul Poole, Lewis Jackson, Jim Wright, Tippie Conner.
• Hospital Authority - Responsible for managing the assets from the sale of Coweta General Hospital. Members: Mark Whitlock, Larry Strickland, Ellis Crook, Mark Brown, Walker Moody, Tom Dunlap, Vernon Hunter,LouAnne Connell, Mathew Burns, Jr.
• Library System Board of Trustees overses operations of the Coweta Public Library System. Members: Karen Cope, Robert Ward, Jeffery Moore,Tom Dombrowski, Norma Haynes and Marianne Thomasson. Liaison: Library Director Jimmy Bass.
• Pandemic Flu Planning Committee works to prepare and limit spread of a pandemic; mitigate disease, suffering, and death; and sustain infrastructure and lessen the impact on the economy. Members: Lloyd Forshee, Jackie White, John Caldwell Jr., Angela Bendall and Kelly Preston. Liaison: Emergency Management Director Jay Jones
• Pathways Community Service Board provides an array of mental health, developmental disabilities, and addictive disease services to ten counties in the west central Georgia region. Meeting bimonthly are members: Dr. Zane Scarborough and Arlena Alford.
• Residential Care Authority - While this authority is rarely called into action, it provides a valuable service. When needed, this authority becomes part of the legal process required to assist with residential funding for seniors. Members: Frank Barron, Billy Arnall, Bobby Welch, Joy Shirley, Delores Wood, Glenn Flake and Gene Chestnut.
• Southern Crescent Area Agency on Aging - Part of the Three Rivers Regional Commission, this board's efforts include coordinating existing and development of new senior services. Members: Louis Dohanich; Inge Blount. Liaison: Ida Johnson with Tommy Thompson Senior Center.
• Board of Tax Assessors is responsible for determining taxability, value and equalization of all assessments within the county. It notifies taxpayers when changes are made to the value of the property; receives and reviews all appeals filed; and insures that the appeal process proceeds properly. Members: Mitchell Rogers, Beverly Ward and David Barnett. Liaison: Chief Appraiser Mike Marchese.
• Three Rivers Regional Commission is a 10-county regional planning commission covering West Central Ga. A planning organization managed under Ga. law by local governments for development, promotion, professional technical assistance to state agencies, federal agencies and local governments to advance quality growth and development. Members: Commissioner Tim Lassetter and Tony Sinclair.
• Water & Sewerage Authority oversees the quality of water services offered and the setting of water and sewerage rates. Members: Eric Smith, Neal Shepard and Mary Anne Sullivan.
• Western Area Regional Radio System Authority was established to improve and maintain a P-25 compliant Radio System to provide safety and security of citizens. Coweta member is Emergency Management Director Jay Jones.
• Board of Zoning Appeals reviews all variance and/or conditional use applications incorporating staff reports and site visits. Conducts monthly public hearings and gives final fact recommendation to the Board of Commissioners. Members: Craig Jackson, George Harper, William Cranford, Sherri Babb and Delia Crouch. Liaisons: Planning Director Robert Tolleson and Zoning Administrator Angela White.