Published Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Transformer burns outside Sygma Corp. building in Creekside

By ELIZABETH MELVILLE

elizabeth@newnan.com

A quick and aggressive response by Coweta County firefighters Sunday afternoon spared a business in the Creekside Industrial Park from extensive damage after a transformer fire erupted.

The Coweta County Fire Department was dispatched to 510 Walt Sanders Memorial Drive, the Sygma Corporation, on Sunday at 4:04 p.m. after a fire ignited at a transformer that was connected to the building, according to Coweta Fire Department Assistant Chief Mitch Coggin.

Fire units arrived on scene to find a switch gear box burning on the exterior of the building. The fire had also spread to the inside of the structure. Units made an aggressive, offensive attack and extinguished the fire. Ventilation was set up to remove smoke from the structure, according to Coggin.

The fire was contained to the area of the building where it originated. Sygma management contacted an electrical contractor who advised that the corporation could be back to normal operations as soon as Monday, according to Coggin.

Management also advised that none of the business’ product was damaged.

© 2011 The Newnan Times-Herald Inc., Newnan, Georgia. Any unauthorized use, copying or mirroring is prohibited.