Published Sunday, November 18, 2012
From Staff Reports
For the eighth consecutive year, “Operation Sandbox” will assemble and send care packages to deployed troops using specific donated items as requested by the troops.
Designated collection points include locations in Newnan, Peachtree City and the Palmetto-Fairburn area.
In the local area, monetary contributions (checks or cash) or donated items will be accepted at local businesses through Nov. 30.
On Dec. 2, a local patriot who wishes to remain anonymous will deliver the items to a central staging area for packaging and mailing in time for Christmas.
Co-founders Virginia Pearson and her daughter, Julie, started Operation Sandbox, now a 501 C (3) non-profit organization, as a one-time effort in November 2004. Churches, civic organizations, businesses and individuals supported it. That first year they sponsored 32 extra-large Christmas stockings totaling 420 pounds of items to a Marine unit in Iraq, where Julie’s fiancé was serving his second tour.
What started as a one-time effort quickly expanded into a massive undertaking that collects and ships thousands of pounds of needed items to tens of thousands of troops of all services in Iraq and Afghanistan.
“It has been amazing to see the outpouring of love indicated by donations of money, time and items needed by our troops,” say the organizers on their website.
“We send care packages to let our troops know they are deeply appreciated for the sacrifices they are making by serving our country,” say the Pearsons. “We not only support Georgia’s troops but all of our military.”
The donated items are those that have been most requested by troops, and it varies from year to year.
This year the list includes hygiene items, food and snacks, drink mixes and entertainment items.
A complete listing of items will be found at local drop-off points or at the website, www.operationsandboxga.com .
Some of the local drop-off points are listed below. For more information see the web site at www.operationsandboxga.com or call 770-784-9155.
Newnan area drop-offs are:
• Cycle City Power Sports, 66 Millard Farmer Ind. Blvd., Newnan; 770-253-2201.
• Great South Harley Davidson, 185 E. Highway 16, south of Newnan; 678-228-8213.
Palmetto and Fairburn area drop-offs are:
• King’s Custom Cycle, 304 Fairburn Ind. Blvd., Fairburn; 770-756-9803.
• MainStreet Transmissions and U-Haul Rental, 511 Sims Street, Palmetto; 770-463-0871.
Peachtree City drop-offs include:
• Ace Hardware, Miles #1, 2006 W. Highway 54, Peachtree City; 770-487-7533.
• Eye Care Plus, 301 Petrol Point, Peachtree City; 770-487-2020.
• Fayette Rental Service, 112 Huddleston Road, Peachtree City; 770-487-7513.
• Gilroy’s Complete Hardware & Lumber, 467 S. Highway 74, Peachtree City; 770-487-8765.
• Peachtree Tan & Salon, 1005 Georgian Park, Peachtree City; 770-631-0088.