Published Sunday, December 30, 2012
By W. WINSTON SKINNER
An evening of gospel singing will welcome the new year at Southside Baptist Church near Moreland.
The gathering at Southside is one of several at Coweta churches where attendees will greet 2013. The church -- located on Cline Road near Moreland -- is planning a New Year’s Eve singing that will start Monday at 7 p.m. Carl Calhoun, pastor of the church, said the singing will continue “until after midnight.”
The Atkins Family, the Murphy Family and the Leftovers, a gospel/bluegrass band, will be among those sharing their talents at Southside’s end-of-the-year celebration. “Refreshments will also be served,” Calhoun said.
Louise Moore said the End of the Year Service at Smith Chapel United Methodist Church will be “a hand-clapping, foot-stomping gospel service.” Carl Von Epps, the church’s pastor, “will bring the message” at the 7 p.m. service, Moore said.
She said there will be a devotional service, testimonies and “singing from the choir.” She said “all members and friends” are being invited and encouraged to attend.
Trinity Chapel Full Gospel Church on Lane Road near Franklin will hold a Watch Night Service starting at 8 p.m. David Pope said featured singers will be Jeff Arnell and God’s Grace. “Heading up the preaching will be Brother Malcolm Peppers with hell fire and brimstone,” Pope said.
Refreshments will be served at Trinity Chapel’s Watch Night.
Other church events set for Monday evening include:
• A New Year’s Eve worship service will be held in the chapel of Roscoe Jenkins Funeral Home on Millard Farmer Industrial Boulevard from 6-7 p.m.
Minister Antonio Johnson will be “the musician for this service,” according to Linette Ward of the funeral home. Dr. Kenneth G. Bailey will bring the message.
Bailey is “pastor of White Oak Grove Baptist Church” near Senoia, Ward said.
• Daniel Ausbun, pastor of First Baptist Church in Moreland, said the Moreland church will hold a Watch Night Service at 6:30 p.m. Breakfast will be served afterward.
• St. Paul Lutheran Church in Peachtree City will have a New Year’s Eve Service with Holy Communion at 7 p.m.
• Allen-Lee Memorial United Methodist Church in Lone Oak will hold a Watch Night gathering starting at 9 p.m. There will be games and snacks -- followed by a service at midnight.
• Abundant Life Faith Church will be hold a New Year’s Eve Service on Monday at 10 p.m. Penny Merritt, one of the church’s pastors, said there will be “praise and worship, word and prayer.” Merritt said traditional New Year’s foods -- “collard greens, peas and cornbread” will be served after the service.
• Annetha Lowe said a Watch Night Service will be held Monday at 10 p.m. at Summer Hill Baptist Church. Local minister Johnny Strickland will bring the message.
• A Watch Night Service will be held at 10 p.m. at Newnan Chapel United Methodist Church, according to Julia Morrison-Morgan. The historic church is located at 72 Robinson St.
• Lawanda Samuel said White Oak Grove Baptist Church at 4619 Gordon Rd. Senoia, will also be having a New Year’s Eve service at 10 p.m.