Published Tuesday, November 20, 2012
From Staff Reports
The Piedmont Newnan Hospital Auxiliary will be sponsoring its 25th Candlelight Tour of Homes on Friday, Dec. 7 from 4-9 p.m. This year’s tour will be highlighting eight homes throughout three Historic Districts in Newnan —the College-Temple District, the Greenville-LaGrange District and the Cole Town District.
The Major Long House at 21 LaGrange St. will be hosting refreshments. This Antebellum style home from the 1800’s has been meticulously restored and is winner of the 2004 “Georgia Trust Award.”
Proceeds from this event will be directed towards a $150,000 pledge the Auxiliary has made to the hospital for the establishment of a “Healing Garden.” In the words of Henry David Thoreau, "Nature is but another name for health.”
Healing Gardens located in a hospital setting have been attributed to relieving stress, speeding recovery and increasing staff retention.
Tickets for this event are on sale, and may be purchased in downtown Newnan at Scott’s Bookstore, The Wynn House on Spring, and the Visitors’ Center; in Ashley Park at Morgan Jewelers; in Sharpsburg at Collectors’ Corner and in Serenbe at Fern’s Market. Tickets also are available at the Gift Shops at Piedmont Newnan Hospital and Piedmont Fayette Hospital or by calling the Auxiliary Office at 770-400-2380.
Tickets purchased in advance are $15. Tickets purchased on the evening of the event are $20 and can be purchased at the homes on tour.
The homes featured have a long and rich history both architecturally and in the life of this community.
The 2013 tour homes are:
21 LaGrange St., Major Long House
Major Young James Long was born into a prominent family in Tennessee in 1803, a cousin of President James K. Polk and David Crockett. He attained his military rank during the Indian War. He settled in Newnan in 1830 and began practicing law. He became the first Solicitor of the Coweta Circuit Court.
Major Long built his home on Greenville Street Extension in 1846. After his death, several others owned it until the 1970’s when it was sold to the Sunnyside Baptist Church. By 2000, the building had slowly deteriorated and the congregation decided to build a new structure next door and to demolish the home for a parking lot.
When approached by local historian, Georgia Shapiro, the church members agreed to give the house away so that it could be saved. In 2001, it was moved a mile to its present location by removing the upper floor and roof. The porch and columns were reproduced from old photographs of the house.
It is decorated with a collection of antiques, appropriate to the period, with many pieces from the estates of prominent Newnan families. The restoration has won several awards, including “Excellence in Restoration from the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation” in 2004. The owners are Georgia and Robert Shapiro.
50 Jackson Street
This Colonial Revival House was built in 1923 by Mrs. Becky Glover, widow of Cliff Glover Sr. She was one of two widows in Newnan in the early 20’s who carried on their husbands’ businesses. Mr. Glover had many business interests, including a farm and a peach orchard. The home was designed by noted architect R. Kennon Perry; who designed many houses in Newnan and was constructed by the R.D. Cole Manufacturing Company. It is said to be the “sister house” to the Howard Glover Home at 45 College St., also on this tour. The Glovers were cousins and were building their homes at the same time and, therefore ordered the same materials. It has 1 1/2-inch tiger oak flooring and also heart pine timber throughout the house. The coal chute and original shutters remain. Chris and Ruth Hallman are the home's owners.
45 College Street, Glover-Trezevant
This magnificent neo-classical style house with its inspiring central portico and Corinthian style columns was built in 1923. Mrs. Howard Glover Sr. designed the home for her family of nine children and drew the plan to scale herself. The red brick exterior is accented with Indiana limestone on all exterior steps, the banding around the terra-cotta porches, under all the windows and atop the four chimneys. The original lot was four acres and included a tennis court, a pergola (used as a club house by the Glover children), a summerhouse and barn for livestock.
The home features a sunroom, a sleeping porch and butlers’ pantries. The graciously appointed interior of the home boasts a central hallway with a beautiful mahogany staircase. The main rooms have classical style mantels faced with marble, tiger oak flooring, plaster walls and plaster moldings, which were made on site. The paneled library features beveled glass bookcases. Delores Trezevant is the owner.
42 Temple Ave.
This stately brick Colonial home was built as a wedding gift from the bride’s family in 1935 for Walter and Clara Berry Hunt Sanders. Over the years, the couple had three daughters, which necessitated adding two bedrooms and a bath upstairs in the 1940’s. Members of the Sanders family continued to live here through the year 2000. The current owners, Steve and Joan Achee, have renovated the kitchen, bathrooms and added a carriage house and patio.
51 Temple Ave.
This magnificent Greek Revival house boasts seven massive columns higher than 26 feet tall and an 800 square foot wrap-around porch. It was originally built by Dan and Carrie Dent Manget in 1911 on land next to her uncle, W.B.W. Dent. After several subsequent owners and changes, it still retains the original inlaid oak bowtie floors, coffered ceilings, and handsome judges paneling. Patty and Ron have restored and renovated much of the interior space, adding a new kitchen and backyard pool.
It is downtown Newnan’s only Bed and Breakfast, Casa Bella. Patty and Ron Gironda area the owners
38 Temple Ave.
This circa 1920 traditional style home exemplifies modern southern charm with both its original features and modern comforts and conveniences. Original hardwood floors, moldings, twelve-foot ceilings and the five fireplaces are some of this home’s loveliest features. The expansive wrap-around porch ceiling is painted Sky Blue according to Southern tradition. The welcoming foyer featuring the baby grand piano leads to the formal living room with its custom-designed upholstered furnishings and an original painting of the home by the owners’ son.
The dining room, with its built in china cabinet and antique dining suite, is a perfect setting for family dinners. The updated kitchen blends with the comfortable and adjacent sunroom.
A split staircase leads to a recently renovated full bath. Four bedrooms circle the upstairs foyer. John and Barbara Kookogey owners.
87 East Broad St., Cole-Frederking Home
The oldest of the second generation Cole Family houses, this elegant Queen Anne Victorian was built in the 1880’s by Mr. and Mrs. Madison Filmore Cole. Interesting features of the house include the unusual curved porch railings, the cove ceilings throughout the downstairs and the elaborate quarter sawn oak woodwork in the front hall and dining room. Many of the original stained glass windows and light fixtures remain. Furnishings throughout are appropriate to the period. The niche designs on the chimneys add an extra touch. It was one of the first homes to have a porte cochere. Kim and Scott Frederking are the owners.
101 East Broad Street
Built in the early 1900’s, this Plain Victorian home was a common style for workers at R.D. Cole Manufacturing Company. It was later purchased by a member of the Cole family and became a rental property with three levels. By the late 1990’s, it had deteriorated badly and was a candidate for a Preservation Trust Project. The plan was to stabilize the house and the sell it to someone to complete. Students at the Central Education Center (CEC) helped with the project. It was purchased by Garry and Pam Renno in the mid 2000’s, they have finished the work and landscaped the yard with a water feature and terrace.