Oxymorons and Dumb and Dumber
You all knew this editorial was coming, didn’t you? We just mention the words “Grantville City Council” and …
According to various dictionaries, oxymoron is defined as (1) A figure of speech in which incongruous or seemingly contradictory terms appear side by side. (2) Grantville City Council. Example: (A) cruel kindness. (B) Two Grantville City Council members approve the suspension of the city’s popular and strongly supported police chief then, while at the same meeting, approve filming of the movie sequel to “Dumb and Dumber.”
A quick recap for those of you just returning from North Korea or underwater: Police Chief Doug Jordan and his wife go on vacation to Arizona to celebrate their 31st anniversary. They pay for it themselves. While there, Jordan gets a sit-down with “America’s Toughest Sheriff” Joe Arpaio. They talk about how Jordan can create a drug task force in Grantville. They take the requisite photo shaking hands. Jordan wears his uniform. We print the photo along with a story about the visit.
And because of that, he gets suspended. And rightfully so. That’s because … hang on … just a sec … we’re thinking … wait … wait … tip of our tongue … dang, it’s gone. We also can’t think of a single reason why a police chief would want to wear his uniform while taking a photo with America’s Toughest Sheriff. It’s disrespectful, trying to show pride in one’s profession and department. The audacity. We agree with Dumb and Dumber — he should have worn a Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops. He was on vacation, after all.
For our North Korean visitors, Dumb is Councilman Johnny Cooks and Dumber is Councilman Barham Lundy. But they can switch the titles around; we don’t mind.
We could go on and on and on and on, but people would just say we’re picking on Grantville again. Sort of like the old cliched shooting fish in a barrel.
But let’s let the people speak. We have received more comments on these stories than any others — ever. We encourage you to visit the website and check them out yourselves. Here’s just a small sampling from various Sound Offs: • The Grantville City Council is better than any “reality” show out there. I know where I'm spending my Monday evenings for election season.
• Grantville, source of entertainment. When I see a piece titled "New 'Dumb and Dumber' movie to shoot in Grantville,” I actually thought it was going to be a remake of how Grantville's City Council does business. It's much better than anything on TV.
• With the antics of the Grantville City Council, what a perfect place to film "Dumb & Dumber."
• Support local theater. Attend Grantville City Council meetings.
• Grantville — What a perfect setting for the "Dumb & Dumber Sequel.” Surely, the mayor and members of city council will play an active role!
• The filmers of the new "Dumb and Dumber" movie couldn't have picked a better place to shoot than Grantville.
• They are going to film the “Dumb and Dumber” sequel in Grantville and they won’t have to go out of town to get the stars. They can get them from the mayor and the city council.
• The city council has this: part of the next "Dumb and Dumber" movie is going to be filmed in Grantville. No casting call necessary.
• Does anyone else see the irony in the fact that “Dumb and Dumber” will be filmed in Grantville?
• Just found out “Dumb and Dumber” will be filmed in Grantville! Anything to do with the town history?