Sound Off

Pay them: Fast-food workers and others do need a pay raise. In a capitalist economy, when the company profits soar by millions, don’t begrudge the workers who got you those millions a couple of dollars. No wonder we are heading for a socialist society — greed, greed, greed. 

Where’s my raise? President Obama is giving all federal employees a 1 percent raise. I work for the county schools and I lost my step raises 7 years ago, and no pay increases. The only relief I will be getting is from the relief line at the welfare office.

Don’t get it: Why do the ordinances in the city of Sharpsburg permit a seasonal business to operate with a Porta Potty but not a historical building with no facilities?

Write professionally: Maybe if you sent in a letter that didn't look like a 3-year-old composed it, the editor would print it as is. I'm sure it's not easy trying to figure out what someone is trying to say, then publishing it so intellectual people can understand it. Most of my entries get published.

Dear Constitution not Compromise: As I recall U.S. history, The Great Compromise orchestrated by Ben Franklin is the foundation of Article I of the United States Constitution. The more I think about it, that document is the result of the compromising skills of our Founding Fathers.

What are we saying? What kind of message are we sending Syria, that it is okay to kill people with bombs and bullets, but not gas?

Cheese & Whine: Only about 14% of the population is concerned with politics. Even less voice an opinion. The rest, 86%, is concerned with making ends meet and keeping out of trouble. With the world seemingly crumbling before our very eyes, I'm more grateful than ever for the good old USA, where my biggest concern can be what to gripe, moan and complain about in the local newspaper.

No power: Thank you for demonstrating the abject ignorance of the Right Wing GOP Conservative. Power can be cut for natural disasters and man-made ones. Money can’t purchase anything when there is no electricity available. Next time your power is out for a few days, notice how well we can work together, be brothers and compromise then.

Struck a nerve: Conservatives trippin’. Why do we need laws to assure civil rights, voting rights, integration and personal liberty if not for bigotry, discrimination and prejudice practiced by a few cliques of deranged, terrified Anglos? When left to your own devices, you guys are horrific.

Bombing run: Am I the only one who has noticed that jets landing at the Atlanta airport seem to be flying lower than they used to over Newnan? If we don't say something about it I am afraid it will soon be considered the norm. Can the city do something about this?

Band uniforms: You don't like the ECHS band uniforms? The old uniforms were almost 10 years old. Time for a change. The band looks and sounds better than ever. I love the East Coweta Marching Indians. Football games wouldn't be the same without them!

Go Bugg: It seems that just about every story involving an officer making a traffic stop who ends up finding a good amount of drugs is Deputy Jeff Bugg. I just wanted to tell him “thank you” for your service and “way to go.”

Hey neighbor: How about turning down your radio? You may be relaxing to your tunes, but I'm tired of having to listen to your music every day, all day.

Re: Buy American, Sept. 5, 2013: There is a big difference between "made" in the USA and "assembled" in the USA (majority of parts imported). The loss of jobs in the manufacture of imported parts versus parts made in the USA is enormous.



More Opinion

Try voting for a change

A popular Coweta County middle school teacher resigned last week and was later charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana. And the Int ... Read More


Rants, Raves & Really?!?

A look back at last week’s highs, lows and whatevers: RANT: A 41-year-old, Michael Rivera of Palmetto, died in a single-vehicle accide ... Read More


Georgia Says

The Times, Gainesville, Georgia, on expressions of faith: On any given fall Friday night, you'd be hard-pressed to find a football field in ... Read More


Foley beheading is ‘growing up’ moment for social media

The beheading of American journalist James Foley – and the distribution of images showing that crime – have led to a moment of m ... Read More


Who is the real victim?

We will soon see a new phrase added to the urban dictionary – “looting tourism.” Over the last several days, Americans hav ... Read More

Rants, Raves & Really?!?

A look back at last week’s highs, lows and whatevers: RANT: Two people were killed in a single-engine plane crash near the Coweta and ... Read More