State urges Georgia schools to evaluate gas threat

BY JEFF MARTIN ASSOCIATED PRESS ATLANTA (AP) – The state education department is urging Georgia school officials to evaluate the potential threat posed by carbon monoxide after lethal levels of the gas were found in an Atlanta elementary school, where more than 40 children and some adults were sent to hospitals. Georgia law does not require carbon monoxide detectors in schools, but some districts are moving ahead anyway with plans to add them.
A school official says they will be installed in more than 20 schools in the 24,000-student Bibb County school system, one of Georgia's largest. In a memo sent to school systems across the state this week, the Georgia Department of Education encouraged officials to evaluate potential exposure to carbon monoxide in school facilities. In Atlanta, Finch Elementary School reopened Friday, four days after the leak there. © 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


More Local

Altered EC photo sent to Chive website

This week an altered picture of East Coweta High School’s Internet homepage was posted to the international website The Chive. The alt ... Read More


Taste of Newnan to return Oct. 2

Main Street Newnan’s Taste of Newnan returns for its fall portion Thursday, Oct. 2 on the Court Square downtown. There will be tables ... Read More


CCMSAL Volleyball

Lee Middle will play in final game of tourney

The Coweta County School System finished its investigation into the allegations surrounding the Coweta County Middle School Athletic League ... Read More


Articulation Agreement

WGTC, LaGrange College sign on dotted line

West Georgia Technical College and LaGrange College have signed an articulation agreement for both institutions’ nursing programs. The ... Read More


Grantville candidate event 6 p.m. tonight

Grantville residents will have a chance to meet the candidates for mayor and city council at an event tonight. Also, on Oct. 9, the Newnan-C ... Read More

Hotel resident injured in grease fire

A woman’s hands were burned Wednesday morning after a grease fire started in her hotel room, but the room’s sprinkler system ext ... Read More