Man charged with arson in fire at old Manchester mill

MANCHESTER, Ga. (AP) – Police have charged a Georgia man with arson in a blaze that destroyed a more than 100-year-old building and burned lumber worth about $1 million. Police in the west Georgia town of Manchester say Jason Edward Teufel of Waverly Hall is charged in the blaze that broke out at the old Manchester Mill a week ago. WTVM-TV reports The building was being demolished, and a salvage company was recovering the old timbers. Part of the structure was saved from flames, but the lost lumber is estimated to be worth about $1 million.
Police say Teufel was inside the old building for shelter after his girlfriend kicked him out of the house. He allegedly started a fire for warmth and went to sleep. Teufel wasn't hurt in the fire. © 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More Local

Paramount Hospitality wins 2015 Small Business Award

Paramount Hospitality won the overall 2015 Small Business of the Year Award from the Newnan-Coweta Chamber of Commerce. Besides the overall ... Read More


Man accused of raping teenager

A 26-year-old man suspected of raping a teenage girl was arrested Aug. 14 following an investigation by the Newnan Police Department. The 16 ... Read More


Gas station robbed

Newnan police are on the lookout for a man who robbed the Marathon Gas Station on Hwy 34 early Friday. Around 6:50 a.m., a male wearing a ba ... Read More


Safes stolen in Ashley Park burglary

Two safes were stolen from an Ashley Park office following a pre-dawn burglary on Friday. At 2:58 a.m., officers responded to Ashley Furnitu ... Read More


Three Rivers at odds over quorum issues

The Three Rivers Regional Council has a problem – an attendance problem. The board – comprised of appointed and elected communit ... Read More

County launches text-911 service

Beginning Sept. 1, most citizens in Coweta County will be able to send a short message service (SMS) or text message to 911 for emergency he ... Read More