15 times brighter than Venus

Fireball lights up sky over Southern states

by JEFF MARTIN, Associated Press

NASA officials say brilliant lights seen at a Mumford & Sons concert in Alabama and loud booms reported in Atlanta's suburbs came from a meteor that streaked across the South.

Officials at the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville said a baseball-size fragment of a comet entered Earth's atmosphere above Alabama at 8:18 p.m. Central Time on Monday.

NASA officials say the meteor traveled at a speed of 76,000 mph. They say that just three seconds after hitting the atmosphere, it disintegrated 25 miles above the Alabama town of Woodstock, producing a flash of light. Woodstock is about 30 miles southwest of Woodstock.

"Because it penetrated so deep into Earth's atmosphere, sonic booms were produced, which were heard by eyewitnesses," NASA said in a statement to The Associated Press.

Music fans at a Mumford & Sons concert in Pelham -- about 20 miles south of Birmingham -- Monday night also reported seeing a brilliant flash of light.

The meteor, which scientists described as a fireball because it was so bright, was 15 times brighter than Venus, NASA officials said.



More Local

Taste of Newnan to return Oct. 2

Main Street Newnan’s Taste of Newnan returns for its fall portion Thursday, Oct. 2 on the Court Square downtown. There will be tables ... Read More


CCMSAL Volleyball

Lee Middle will play in final game of tourney

The Coweta County School System finished its investigation into the allegations surrounding the Coweta County Middle School Athletic League ... Read More


Articulation Agreement

WGTC, LaGrange College sign on dotted line

West Georgia Technical College and LaGrange College have signed an articulation agreement for both institutions’ nursing programs. Th ... Read More


Grantville candidate event 6 p.m. tonight

Grantville residents will have a chance to meet the candidates for mayor and city council at an event tonight. Also, on Oct. 9, the Newnan- ... Read More


Altered EC photo sent to Chive website

This week an altered picture of East Coweta High School’s Internet homepage was posted to the international website The Chive. The al ... Read More

Hotel resident injured in grease fire

A woman’s hands were burned Wednesday morning after a grease fire started in her hotel room, but the room’s sprinkler system ext ... Read More