4 Madras Middle students caught with narcotics

by JOHN A. WINTERS

alt

Coweta County ambulance personnel checked out four students who are believed to have taken prescription drugs while at school.

Four Madras Middle School students were charged with narcotics possession after one brought prescription drugs to the school on Thursday.

The four eighth grade boys, aged 13-14, were checked out by school nurses and Coweta Emergency Medical Service staff before being released to their parents, said Lieutenant Colonel Jimmy Yarbrough with the Coweta County Sheriff's Office.

"One of the boys brought prescriptions from his home and was selling them to the others," the colonel said. "We believe it was Xanax. The boys checked out fine and were sent home."

One of the boys had not taken the pill, which was found in his pocket, Yarbrough said.

The boy who brought the drugs was charged with possession of narcotics with intent to distribute, he said. The other three were charged with possession of narcotics.

Thursday was the graduation ceremony for sixth graders at the school.



More Local

Taste of Newnan to return Oct. 2

Main Street Newnan’s Taste of Newnan returns for its fall portion Thursday, Oct. 2 on the Court Square downtown. There will be tables ... Read More


CCMSAL Volleyball

Lee Middle will play in final game of tourney

The Coweta County School System finished its investigation into the allegations surrounding the Coweta County Middle School Athletic League ... Read More


Articulation Agreement

WGTC, LaGrange College sign on dotted line

West Georgia Technical College and LaGrange College have signed an articulation agreement for both institutions’ nursing programs. Th ... Read More


Grantville candidate event 6 p.m. tonight

Grantville residents will have a chance to meet the candidates for mayor and city council at an event tonight. Also, on Oct. 9, the Newnan- ... Read More


Altered EC photo sent to Chive website

This week an altered picture of East Coweta High School’s Internet homepage was posted to the international website The Chive. The al ... Read More

Hotel resident injured in grease fire

A woman’s hands were burned Wednesday morning after a grease fire started in her hotel room, but the room’s sprinkler system ext ... Read More