BOE remembers NHS senior who died in wreck
The Coweta County Board of Education remembered late Newnan High School student Zachary Harrison at its meeting Tuesday.
Harrison was a 2014 graduating senior who passed away on Friday, May 30 after succumbing to injuries from a car accident on May 22. He was in the car with three other NHS students.
NHS Principal Chase Puckett read about Harrison’s accomplishments and life, and Harrison’s family and friends attended the meeting.
In other business Tuesday the school board:
• Approved three Career Technical and Agricultural Education grants. These grants included:
– Carl D. Perkins IV grant in the amount of $163,353, used for the purchase of supplies, equipment, professional development, and program improvement for CTAE programs and courses at CEC, ECHS, NHS, and NGHS.
– CTAE state grants in the amount of $83,186, used for career tech education extended day pay, apprenticeship, and supervision pay for system-wide CTAE programs.
– Capital equipment allocation in the amount of $36,000 to assist schools undergoing large renovation projects with CTAE equipment. ECHS qualifies for this award based on their facility renovation in business education.
• Approved the contract renewal of $12,000 for the 4-H Extension Associate Program.
• Heard the financial report from Coweta’s Assistant Superintendent for Financial Services that the school system is under budget for July.
• Heard a construction report from the superintendent. The ECHS and Evans Middle School construction projects are progressing.
• Heard the superintendent’s report on the start of the 2014-2015 school year.