Proposed Greentop Road development before Commissioners
by By Sarah Fay Campbell - email@example.com
The Coweta County Board of Commissioners meet Tuesday night at 6 p.m., in the county commission chambers on Perry Street.
The main item on the agenda is the continuation of the public hearing on the rezoning of property on Greentop Road for a medium-density subdivision.
The public hearing began at the May 20 meeting, but was continued until Tuesday because Commissioner Al Smith was not in attendance. Applicant Jim Mottola wanted the vote on the rezoning to be taken by the full board. A large number of opponents were in attendance May 20, and most chose to wait until Tuesday to comment on the rezoning proposal.
Also Tuesday, some county employees are planning on attending the meeting to discuss possible changes to the county’s health insurance benefit for employees and retirees. The changes were discussed last week at a county commission work session. The issue is not on the agenda for Tuesday’s meeting, but there is always a time at the end of meetings for public comment on items not on the agenda.
Other items on the agenda include:
• An amendment to forbid “vaping” on county property. Cigarette smoking is already prohibited at county facilities, and the amendment states that using e-cigarettes or vaping is also forbidden. Other proposed changes to the county’s ordinance regarding smoking would allow the creation of a designated smoking area at the Coweta Justice Center for jurors and members of the public, and would do away with the designated smoking area at the Coweta County Prison, since the state no longer allows prison inmates to smoke.
• A presentation from Pat Hannon regarding West Georgia Technical College.
• Approval of a proposal for a “comfort station” at the Central Park soccer fields.
• Approval of the 2014-2015 budgets for the district attorney’s office, state court public defender, and board of health.
• Approval of a proposed amendment to the county’s rules regarding tobacco use on county-owned properties.