Dog dies in house fire

by Wes Mayer

A family dog was the victim of a house fire that damaged the kitchen of a Coweta County home Monday.

Around 5:34 p.m., Coweta County Fire Department units were dispatched to a single- story structure fire on the 800-block of Summer McKoy Road, said Assistant Fire Chief Mitch Coggin. Units arrived and found the home’s kitchen on fire. A bystander who entered the home through the garage with a garden hose to fight the fire was also on the scene.

According to Coggin, 10 firefighters arrived, and while some made an aggressive interior attack and extinguished the fire in the kitchen, others searched the home for a family dog. The dog was found deceased in a pile of clothes in a bedroom.

Coggin said the fire was contained to the kitchen, but there was moderate smoke damage to the entire house.



More Local

Perdue beats Kingston; recount likely in school superintendent race

Businessman David Perdue beat long-time Congressman Jack Kingston in Tuesday's runoff for the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate. The t ... Read More


Church Day shows off rich Coweta history

The churches of Coweta County got their day to share their rich history on the Court Square in downtown Newnan on Saturday. More than 20 chu ... Read More


Senoia’s zombie wall may remain for years

A portion of a Senoia residential development might be a “closed set” for the next several years. On Monday, representatives fro ... Read More


Meat processing center destroyed by flames

A commercial building between the Arnco and Sargent communities in western Coweta County was destroyed by a fire early Monday. Around 4 a.m. ... Read More


Sheriff's employee Ayers in coma

A longtime employee of the Coweta County Sheriff’s Office who was diagnosed with a serious disease last year took a turn for the worse ... Read More

‘Window into Past’ tours at Brown’s Mill Saturday

Tickets are available to tour the Battle of Brown’s Mill battlefield Saturday for displays making up “A Window into the Past.&rd ... Read More