Dog dies in house fire

by Wes Mayer

A family dog was the victim of a house fire that damaged the kitchen of a Coweta County home Monday.

Around 5:34 p.m., Coweta County Fire Department units were dispatched to a single- story structure fire on the 800-block of Summer McKoy Road, said Assistant Fire Chief Mitch Coggin. Units arrived and found the home’s kitchen on fire. A bystander who entered the home through the garage with a garden hose to fight the fire was also on the scene.

According to Coggin, 10 firefighters arrived, and while some made an aggressive interior attack and extinguished the fire in the kitchen, others searched the home for a family dog. The dog was found deceased in a pile of clothes in a bedroom.

Coggin said the fire was contained to the kitchen, but there was moderate smoke damage to the entire house.



More Local

UPDATE

Authorities awaiting toxicology, autopsy results in dead baby case

Coweta County authorities are now waiting for toxicology and autopsy results to be completed into Saturday’s death of 2-month-old Maka ... Read More


Boy Scouts end ban on gay leaders

The Boy Scouts of America has ended its blanket ban on gay adult leaders. On Monday, the new policy was enacted after approval by the BSA's ... Read More


Gas leak closes Lower Fayetteville Road

A gas main leak led to Lower Fayetteville Rd. being shut down for over four hours on Tuesday afternoon. At 10:55 a.m., firefighters were dis ... Read More


Stalker tased after violation of protective order

A man found himself in jail Monday afternoon after he violated a temporary protective order an hour after it was issued. About 4:40 p.m., de ... Read More


Grantville plans to collect on $200,000 in bad debt

Grantville is attempting to collect an estimated $200,000 in bad debt On Monday night, the Grantville City Council voted unanimously to ente ... Read More

Shotgun threat leads to charges for 2 men

Two men were arrested Monday after they got into an argument which involved one threatening the other with a shotgun. About 9:30 p.m., Cowe ... Read More