Windswept fire burns Grantville residence
by Wes Mayer
A Grantville home burned down Saturday after winds spread a controlled fire onto the side of the structure.
At 12:37 p.m., the Coweta County Fire Department was dispatched to a grass fire at a home on 220 Whrite Place off Bradbury Road, said Assistant Fire Chief Mitch Coggin. While en route, however, 911 operators upgraded the call to a structure fire — apparently the grass fire spread onto the vinyl siding of the structure due to winds blowing more than 20 mph.
According to Coggin, 18 personnel arrived to find one side of the 1,640-square-foot structure, and about 40 percent of the attic engulfed in flames. Firefighters were able to put the fire under control and fought hot spots until 3:30 p.m., but the structure was extensively damaged. There were no injuries.
The grass fire originated from a controlled burn being handled by the owner next to the home, according to Coggin. Coggin said the Georgia Forestry Commission did not issue burn permits on Saturday — most likely due to the wind.