Goose perishes in coop fire

by Wes Mayer

A goose died Wednesday when the bird coop it was living in caught on fire, according to Coweta authorities.

Around 11 a.m., the Coweta County Fire Department responded to a fire at the 500block of Dixon Road, said Capt. Craig Sherrer. Firefighters in Engine 8, Engine 16, Squad 8 and Car 3 arrived and found an outbuilding - a combination of a 100-square-foot play house and a 144-square-foot bird coop - on fire.

According to Sherrer, the fire was contained to the bird coop and an exterior wall of the play house, and it was quickly brought under control.

A goose that was being rehabilitated inside the coop died in the fire. After the investigation, it was determined the heat lamp being used to warm the goose fell over, hit some combustible products and started the fire, Sherrer said.

The goose was the only animal inside the coop.



More Local

250 students affected

Homelessness ‘vicious cycle that’s going to continue’

The economy has bounced back from the lows of a few years ago. The housing market is healthy, and the jobless rate has improved. But, for so ... Read More


Annual Sunrise on the Square Road Race a success

The annual Sunrise on the Square included ideal weather and a first-time winner who actually pushed his baby in a stroller. The race, hosted ... Read More


HealthSouth facility scheduled to open Dec. 2

Progress for HealthSouth’s new facility is on track for a Dec. 2 opening, which will add to the town’s growing collection of hea ... Read More


Subsidized medical center proposed for Senoia

Palmetto Health Council is applying for a grant to bring a subsidized medical clinic to Coweta, proposed for the Senoia area. The non-profit ... Read More


Economic Impact

Ports hit new record

The Georgia Ports Authority moved more than 3 million 20-foot equivalent container units in fiscal year 2014 – and set a new record fo ... Read More

Maternity home on zoning board’s agenda

Decisions on a proposed “maternity home” for pregnant teens, expanded outdoor seating for a proposed downtown restaurant, and al ... Read More