Goose perishes in coop fire

by Wes Mayer

A goose died Wednesday when the bird coop it was living in caught on fire, according to Coweta authorities.

Around 11 a.m., the Coweta County Fire Department responded to a fire at the 500block of Dixon Road, said Capt. Craig Sherrer. Firefighters in Engine 8, Engine 16, Squad 8 and Car 3 arrived and found an outbuilding - a combination of a 100-square-foot play house and a 144-square-foot bird coop - on fire.

According to Sherrer, the fire was contained to the bird coop and an exterior wall of the play house, and it was quickly brought under control.

A goose that was being rehabilitated inside the coop died in the fire. After the investigation, it was determined the heat lamp being used to warm the goose fell over, hit some combustible products and started the fire, Sherrer said.

The goose was the only animal inside the coop.



More Local

MEMORIAL DAY

WWII vets share their stories during Newnan program

Ten local veterans of World War II shared memories from the last days of that war at the annual Memorial Day program at Veteran’s Memo ... Read More


Fireworks to be rescheduled

Remembrance, patriotism, fun at Senoia Memorial Day

Senoia's 10th annual Memorial Day Remembrance and Festival was a “great day” of patriotism, remembrance, and family fun. At 3 p. ... Read More


Grantville Memorial Day

Alford says military fighting for Americans’ freedom

Memorial Day is a time for remembering those who died fighting for their country. At Grantville’s Memorial Day program, however, the f ... Read More


Also charged with terroristic threats

Son arrested after using nunchucks on father

A man was arrested Monday after he struck his father in the head with nunchucks and later told officers he wanted to become a cop-killer. Ab ... Read More


Woman injured in knife assault

Newnan police are investigating an assault that occurred last week and left a woman with multiple lacerations to both arms. About 3:40 p.m. ... Read More

Downtown Newnan Clean-Up event to be held Wednesday morning

Keep Newnan Beautiful in partnership with Main Street Newnan will be hosting a morning clean-up of the National Register Historic District D ... Read More