Genealogical Society makes presentation, receives gift

alt

Pat Tidwell proudly holds the Civil War hospital book presented to her in memory of her husband, Phil Tidwell.

By W. WINSTON SKINNER
winston@newnan.com
The Coweta County Genealogical Society recently made a presentation to Pat Tidwell and received a gift from Darwin Palmer.
The society presented Tidwell with a first copy of the newly printed “Patients and Staff of CSA Hospitals, Newnan, Ga. 1863-1864.” The book was presented in memory of her husband, Phil Tidwell, a longtime Coweta County teacher and genealogy researcher.
Palmer presented CCGS with store ledgers that will become part of the research center’s collection. Two of the ledgers were those of Grantville business leaders I.R. Leigh and C. S. Colley.
The research center is located in the historic passenger train depot in Grantville. “The society appreciates that a piece of history has been saved for future generations to enjoy,” said Artie May Storey, CCGS president.


More Local

Altered EC photo sent to Chive website

This week an altered picture of East Coweta High School’s Internet homepage was posted to the international website The Chive. The alt ... Read More


Taste of Newnan to return Oct. 2

Main Street Newnan’s Taste of Newnan returns for its fall portion Thursday, Oct. 2 on the Court Square downtown. There will be tables ... Read More


CCMSAL Volleyball

Lee Middle will play in final game of tourney

The Coweta County School System finished its investigation into the allegations surrounding the Coweta County Middle School Athletic League ... Read More


Articulation Agreement

WGTC, LaGrange College sign on dotted line

West Georgia Technical College and LaGrange College have signed an articulation agreement for both institutions’ nursing programs. The ... Read More


Grantville candidate event 6 p.m. tonight

Grantville residents will have a chance to meet the candidates for mayor and city council at an event tonight. Also, on Oct. 9, the Newnan-C ... Read More

Hotel resident injured in grease fire

A woman’s hands were burned Wednesday morning after a grease fire started in her hotel room, but the room’s sprinkler system ext ... Read More