Newnan Notes: Fall Art Walk is FridayBy GINA SNIDER
City of Newnan Public Information Officer
Main Street Newnan is excited to usher in the fall event season with its annual Fall Art Walk on Friday.
The free event takes place between 5 and 8 p.m. in downtown Newnan.
Participating artists in this year’s event will feature a wide variety of mediums. Everything from oil on canvass to engraving, pottery, photography, jewelry-making and acrylics will be featured. As an added benefit, Musicology will be partnering with Main Street Newnan to feature several performing arts groups, which will be set up and playing in various locations.
September is Water Month and Keep Newnan Beautiful reminds you of the importance of saving water.
Did you know that water covers 70 percent of the planet, but less than 2 percent is fresh and available for human consumption? The 7,000,000,000-plus residents of earth have to share that water. In addition, that volume of water isn’t necessarily distributed equally; some places have plenty and others not enough.
The downside of this inequity is that those with plenty often practice wasteful consumption habits. And when I say “those,” I mean “us.” In the United States, tap water costs around $4 per 1,000 gallons.
Because water wasting doesn’t have a big impact on our bank accounts, it is easy to miss that a running faucet is the flow of dollars. Yet, saving water does translate into saving money, more so with a strategic approach. We are asking you to watch, consider, and start saving where you can. Every little bit counts!
The Carnegie schedule of events is:
• Monday, Sept. 17, 2:30 p.m. Gentle Yoga – Instructor Elizabeth Dorsey guides gentle yoga exercises for stress relief, flexibility, stretching and strengthening. Wear comfortable clothes.
• Wednesday, Sept. 19, 10 a.m. History with Elizabeth – “Newnan Hospital – The New Location for a College Downtown Again.” Join local historian Elizabeth Beers for an informative presentation.
• Wednesday, Sept. 19, noon Sack Lunch Cinema – “Bullitt.” Bring your lunch and enjoy the classic. Drinks and dessert provided.
• Thursday, Sept. 20, 10 a.m. Preschool Story Time – stories, music and craft designed for ages 2-4. Limited openings available.
• Thursday, Sept. 20, 2:30 p.m. Veteran’s Muster III – Coweta Commission on Veterans Affairs provides informational program on Muster III, 2012.
• Friday, Sept. 21, 2 p.m. Armchair Travelers – “The Holy Lands” – Seminary student, Meredith Loftis, shares photo images and travel stories of her recent trip.
Reservations are required for all programs. Call 770-683-1347 to reserve your spot.
The city reminds citizens of “Safe Step,” Pedestrian Safety Awareness campaign. Here is a myth and fact for drivers.
Myth: Speed limits are just suggestions Fact: Speeding is the primary cause in 32 percent of all fatal motor vehicle crashes (NHTSA). Going the speed limit vs. just five miles an hour over the speed limit means the difference of being able to stop for a young child that darts out in the street vs. hitting and killing the child.
For more news and events in the City of Newnan, log on to www.ci.newnan.ga.us .