Student entries welcome in Christmas photo contest
by W. Winston Skinner
Student shutterbugs are welcome to enter their work in The Newnan Times-Herald’s annual Christmas Photo Contest.
Scenes from last Christmas or the current Christmas season will be judged for cash prizes — and for publication in the newspaper. Photographs of family and church events, outdoor holiday scenes and photos with children and pets have all been entered in past years. Adults and young people have won the contest.
Winning photographs will be published in The Newnan Times-Herald on Wednesday, Dec. 25. Prizes will be given for winning photos — $100, first; $50, second; $25, third.
Entries may be left at The Times-Herald offices at 16 Jefferson St. in downtown Newnan through Dec. 13 at noon. They also may be mailed to: Christmas Photo Contest, P. O. Box 1052, Newnan, GA 30264 and must be received by the deadline. Canongate Elementary School will also be a dropoff point for entries. Entries must be taken to Canongate no later than noon on Dec. 12.
Rules for the contest are:
1. The photograph must have been taken by the person submitting it. No copyrighted photographs can be used.
2. If the photograph includes people, it is preferred that small groups — three or less — are in the picture. The people in the photographs must be identified.
3. Photographs from the current holiday season are preferred. Photographs from the 2012 Christmas season are acceptable. Older photographs are not.
4. Entries must depict scenes in Coweta County or Coweta County residents.
5. Photographs submitted should be color or black-and-white prints made from a 35 millimeter negative; or if a digital camera is used they must be of good quality and a printout must be submitted for visual judging. In addition to the printed version of a digital picture, the image should either be included on a disk or the original unretouched "jpeg" e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and marked "Christmas contest." Photographs cannot be returned, so be sure to bring a duplicate. No instant-type photos will be accepted.
6. Only one entry will be accepted per household.
7. The first place winner will be asked to serve as a judge for the next year's contest and will not be eligible to compete in that contest. Last year's first place winner is not eligible to enter this year's contest.
Along with the image, photographers should send their name, address, a daytime telephone number and the date and place the photograph was made. They also should sign the following statement: “I certify that this photograph is my own work, and I grant permission to The Times-Herald to reproduce it. I understand that I will not get this photograph back.”