White Oak Golden K
Scholarships presented to UWG-Newnan students
by Special Reports
White Oak Golden K Kiwanis Club recently presented two scholarship checks to students who attend the Newnan campus of the University of West Georgia.
Holly Smith, a nursing student, received a scholarship check from Jimmy Sprayberry, WOGK Scholarship chairman. Also a scholarship recipient is Megan Smith.
Cathy Wright, director of the UWG Newnan campus, spoke to the Golden K club at the recent weekly meeting. Attending with her was Mary Hart, director of Development and Nursing at the Newnan Center.
Wright began by reminding the group that Newnan once had a college in the downtown area. College Temple was in operation from 1853 through 1888. Professor Moses Kellogg was the head of the school, and it was the first college in the nation to confer a Master of Arts degree to women.
Wright went on to tell the club that, in 1988, exactly 100 years after College Temple closed, the Newnan campus of West Georgia was opened, and UWG-Newnan has operated from its current site in the Shenandoah Industrial Park for the past 22 years.
The Shenandoah property, which originally belonged to Georgia Power Company, was purchased by Coweta County in 1998 and donated to the University of West Georgia.
In addition to core curriculum classes and joint enrollment for high school students, UWG-Newnan offers two full undergraduate degree programs: Early Childhood Education and Nursing. It also offers five graduate degree programs: master’s in Early Childhood, Special Ed, and Secondary Education; master’s in Business Administration; and specialist in Educational Leadership. Forty percent of the Newnan Center’s students reside in Coweta County, and undergraduate enrollment has quadrupled over the past 10 years.
Now with the planned conversion of the former NewnanHospital campus on Jackson Street into the Newnan Center, Newnan is again getting a college in the downtown area.
The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia recently voted to approve the acquisition of the property at 80 W. Jackson St., the site of the historic Newnan Hospital facility. The decision is the result of nearly two years of planning.