CORRAL Nativity among weekend holiday events
by Bradley Hartsell
The annual CORRAL live Nativity in the Roscoe community opened Thursday and will continue through Saturday. The scene will be available from 7 p.m. in the historic Sewell barn.
CORRAL — the Coweta Organization for Riding, Rehabilitation and Learning — uses horses to provide therapy for handicapped youngsters.
The Live Nativity, presented annually by Brown and Marie Powell, began more than 30 years ago.
CORRAL is located at 52 Oliver Potts Road, off Highway 70, Roscoe Road.
Among other area events this weekend:
Friday, Dec. 20
• Live Nativity, CORRAL Barn, Roscoe Rd., 7 p.m.
• Christmas With the Georgia Boy Choir, Peachtree Road United Methodist Church, Atlanta, 7 p.m. Admission — $12/$20/$40.
During the concert children 6 and under may attend a Christmas party courtesy of Elegant Event Sitters.
This is the fifth season for the Georgia Boy Choir. The concert will feature all five choirs as well as a full orchestra. Atlanta’s largest performance of the “Twelve Days of Christmas” includes an invitation for the audience to participate.
Saturday, Dec. 21
• Coweta County Genealogical Society Christmas Dinner, Macedonia Baptist Church, 11:30 a.m. Dinner will feature turkey, dressing and ham. Tickets are $15.
Dr. Jeffery C. Wells will be speaking at the event. Wells has been a classroom instructor for 15 years. Currently, he serves as chair of the social and behavioral sciences division at Georgia Military College.
The program will focus on westward movements in Georgia during the 1820s and 1830s, particularly focusing on land acquisition through treaty and land dispersal through land lotteries.
Reservations may be made by mailing a check to CCGS or calling Helen at 770-253-9530 or Dianne at 678-521-2974.
• Advent Mass, St. George Catholic Church, 5:30 p.m.
• Live Nativity, CORRAL Barn, Roscoe, 7 p.m.
• Christmas With the Georgia Boy Choir, Peachtree Road United Methodist Church, Atlanta, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Dec. 22
• Christmas Service, St. Christopher Hellenic Orthodox Church, Peachtree City. Orthros, 7:45-9 a.m. Divine Liturgy, 9-10:15 a.m. Community Christmas Program/Lenten Luncheon, 10:15 a.m.-noon.
• Advent Mass, St. George Catholic Church, 8/10 a.m.
• Jim Qualls, soloist, Central Baptist Church, 8:45/10:55 a.m. The chancel choir will also present “Benedictus.”
• Spanish Advent Mass, St. George Catholic Church, noon.
• Christmas Candlelight Communion Service, Liberty Christian Church, 5 p.m. “The Liberty Singers will be featured in a presentation of the Christmas musical ‘Night of the Father's Love,’” said Mary Jane Miles, director of music at the church. “Following the program, there will be refreshments in the fellowship hall.”
• Cookies With Santa, Providence Baptist Church, Providence Church Road, 5 p.m.
• Cantata, Sunnyside Baptist Church, 6 p.m. Church member Linda Pike said there will be “finger foods afterwards.”
• Christmas Communion, Central Baptist Church, 6 p.m.
• “Miracle on Main Street” play, Sargent Baptist Church, 6 p.m. “Children and youth will present this program,” Debra Sewell said.