Food & Dining
Pumpkin pie doughnuts
(AP) – To help bridge the holidays, we borrowed a classic dessert of each - fried doughnuts for Hanukkah and pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving - and brought them together in one delicious mouthful.
PUMPKIN HONEY DOUGHNUTS
Start to finish: 1 1/2 hours Makes 3 dozen doughnut holes
• 2 teaspoons instant yeast
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
• 1/2 cup warm water
• 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
• 1 egg
• 1/3 cup honey
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon In a medium bowl, stir yeast, flour, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in water, pumpkin and egg until smooth batter forms. Cover with plastic wrap and leave for 45 minutes.
In small saucepan over medium heat, combine honey, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and stir well. Remove from heat.
In a large, deep skillet heat 1 inch of oil to 375 F.
Working in batches, carefully drop the batter by the tablespoonful into the hot oil. A cookie or small ice cream scoop makes this easier. Turning occasionally, fry the doughnuts until deep golden brown all over and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the fried doughnuts to a large bowl. Drizzle the honey syrup over the doughnuts and toss to coat. Repeat with remaining doughnuts. Serve immediately.