Weekender: See & Do
• Southern Ground Social Club presents Senoia’s southwest rock group, Next 2 the Tracks on Friday, September 27. On Saturday, Atlanta’s Wesley Cook comes to SGSC. Cook has performed with Edwin McCain, singer of “I’ll Be.” Both shows require a $5 cover charge and attendees must be 21 or older. Shows start at 9 p.m. For more information about shows at the Zac Brown-owned venue in Senoia, call 770-727-9072.
• Newnan Theatre Company — Thursday marked the opening night of ‘Mother.’ Winner of the Pulitzer Prize and the Susan Smith Blackburn Prize, this eloquent and enthralling play explores the final hour of the life of a young woman who has decided that life is no longer worth living. Mature Content. Adult tickets are $14 ($12 for seniors/students, $8 for kids) and can be purchased at www.newnantheatre.org. NTC is located at 21 1st Ave in Newnan and can be reached at 770-683-6282 or email@example.com.
• Frederick Brown Jr. Amphitheater welcomes Departure, a Journey tribute band, and Running with Desire, performers covering the hits of U2 and Van Halen on Friday, September 27. Show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased online at www.amphitheater.org . For more information call 770-631-0630.
• 2013 Coweta County Fair runs through Saturday, September 28, at the Coweta County Fairgrounds south of Newnan on Pine Road. Hours are as follows: 5 p.m. to midnight Friday; noon-midnight Saturday; 2-10 p.m. Sunday; 5-11 p.m. Monday-Thursday. Gate admission is $5, unlimited ride armbands $25 available for use during specified times. Entertainment includes the Eudora Farms exotic animals and petting zoo, and a BMX show (through Monday). See the Muttville Comix, the Torres Family Circus, and the Puppetone Rockers. The High Rollers historic bicycles daily on the midwayl Local bands play every night, and Sat., Sept. 28 brings Texaco Country Showdown music talent show 7-11 p.m. Details: www.CowetaCountyFair.org or Coweta County Extension Office at 770-254-2620.
• Barnes & Noble in Newnan will host seven local authors with new titles on Thursday, Sept. 26 from 6-8 p.m. From Paranormal Romance and Fantasy to Inspiration and Memoir, local talent is on display and will be signing books during the event. Participating authors are: Dylan Higgins, Lauren Mitchell, Michael Sherrard, Jillian Neal, Peggy Holloway, Shanon Grey and David Wilson.
• Patrick Dennis, owner of the Decatur Gallery and co-founder and President of the Atlanta Foundation for Public Spaces, LLC will present a program at the October 1 meeting of FAACE. The meeting held at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Peachtree City begins at 7 p.m. Dennis is co-founder and manager of popular and successful festivals and outdoor public art events. Dennis will focus on the jury process in art shows, how galleries and art shows work and art marketing. For more information go to www.affps.com, www.decaturgallery.com, or www.faace.org, or call 770-487-0426.
• Newnan Carnegie Library Foundation continues to present scholars sharing insights on civilizations from Babylon to 17th century France. Each scholar will give a 6:30 p.m. lecture at the second floor meeting room of the Carnegie at Newnan’s Court Square. Afterward, there will be a time for conversation at a downtown cafe. The overall theme for the lectures is “Lasting Legacies of the Past.” The next speaker will be Joseph Allen Kicklighter on Oct. 7, presenting on early Christianity. Allen is a professor of history and the history department’s undergraduate program officer.
• Pickin’ on the Square — Main Street Newnan hosts Pickin' on the Square the first and third Saturday of every month at 11 a.m. on the Court Square in downtown Newnan. All musicians are invited to play. All music genres and skill levels are welcomed as long as it’s acoustic.
• Rebel Reelers Square Dance Club — Dances 8-10 p.m. first and third Fridays at Coweta Recreation Department on Hospital Road in Newnan. Square dancing and round dancing, along with finger foods. Club offers lessons. Details: Darline Barge, Pres., 770-617-1211; firstname.lastname@example.org.