Online school bus schedules upset several readers
The glass is clearly half empty. Or it’s obviously half full.
The preponderance of evidence leaves the jury no doubt but to find the defendant innocent. Anyone in his right mind knows the guy is guilty.
Same facts, completely different conclusions. Welcome to the world of newspapers.
Every day readers question why we ran a particular story, or why we didn’t. This is news, this isn’t. You have no right to print that. Why didn’t you run that story?
A perfect example of this was our putting the Coweta County School System bus schedules online. We’ve put those schedules up as a public service since we’ve had a website. Before that, we used to run them in print.
Some think it’s a big help, others think we’re abetting child molesters.
Below are some of the comments we received on our Facebook page, as published, about this very issue:
• Why are you publishing this information for every pedophile to see? Please be mindful and protect the privacy of our children. This information should be for parents and guardians only.
• As I read the comments about this particular post, I'm beginning to worry about the sanity of the people in this county. Are you seriously telling me that you are going to complain about posting street names and what bus will be serving them? Get a grip. If you are that worried, drive your child to school.
• People have a lot of time on their hands to worry about stuff. I can only hope that when I have kids, I'll know my wife isn't scared of the world and making my kids neurotic. It's not like pedophiles didn't exist before public bus schedules were posted online. As far as making it "easier,” how hard is it for some creep to follow one of those giant yellow busses that drive around the county?
• All this info is available on the county website and has for years and years been posted in the times-herald!
• Seriously disappointed in this post and wish someone thought about this before posting for ALL to see!
• And im sure u r not a father or a parent yourself. All we are saying is that this should not of been made public, as it makes for children to be more easily targeted. Not sorry for being to cautious of our children and their surroundings.
• Why did y'all post this for everyone to see? What's wrong with us being able to go to the school and find out for our self? There's nothing wrong in the way we have been finding out for years and now u out it out there for everyone to see that may not even have and business knowing!!! Coweta I'm very disappointed in this post!!!!! Smh!!!! The safety of our children should come first!!!
• Why is it your posting about Coweta County School routes, BUT the picture of buses is NOT Coweta County School Buses ?
• Couldn't find a picture of actual Coweta County buses? I'll help you out ... they're on Cofield Road. I guess this is what happens when our newspaper is outsourced to an out-of-state company.
• And secondly, who gives a rats behind what picture they use! As long as it looks like a bus, does it really matter that it's not a Coweta County bus..... seriously?
• Let him know you also want police escorts for every bus and a chaperone for every child that gets on and off the bus. What a sad world.
• So much easier than standing in line at the schools! Thanks for listing!
• Should not be posted
So what do you think? Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org .