More toll roads around Atlanta are coming and Coweta County, via I-85, will not be left out.
When President Eisenhower's administration initiated the construction of the interstate highway system, federal funding was 80% of the cost, while the remaining 20% came from the states.
No government, at any level, produces income.
Government relies on the populace to produce income and then tax that income. So, taxpayers have already paid for the highway structures in our nation. What about the upkeep of the highways? Eisenhower didn't plan for that, but later proposed the 5 cent gasoline tax for that sole purpose. In turn the states also levy a gasoline tax for highway upkeep. So why are roads and highways such a mess?
Greedy politicians saw the windfall of funds generated by the gasoline tax and decided to put that money in the states’ general fund, to be used for whatever would buy votes during election years. The results were no funds for highway maintenance on a regular basis.
So, once again, greedy politicians saddle taxpayers with a new tax called "Toll Lane Charges." The new Holy Grail for the GDOT and Governor Deal.