Update: White Powder Non-Toxic
by Wes Mayer
The white powdery substance found Monday afternoon inside an envelope at a business on Highway 34 East in Coweta County has been determined to be non-toxic, according to authorities.
On Monday after lunch, an employee of My Rent Source Property Management opened an envelope and found a white powdery substance inside, said Lt. Col. Jimmy Yarbrough with the Coweta County Sheriff’s Office. Hazardous materials teams from both the sheriff’s office and Coweta County Fire Department responded, decontaminated the employees at the scene and a sample of the powder was rushed to a lab in Atlanta.
According to Yarbrough, although authorities are uncertain what the substance exactly is, they have determined it to not be a poisonous substance like Anthrax or Ricin.
The office where the letter was opened was actually that of the property management company, and not the law offices upstairs.
For more on this story, look in Wednesday’s print and digital editions of The Newnan Times-Herald.