Fayette County school board votes to close 4 schools

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. (AP) – The Fayette County Board of Education has voted to close four schools in the face of a $15 million budget shortfall. The vote came during a meeting Monday night in which officials said the district would only save about $4 million even with the school closures taken into account Slated for closure are Tyrone Elementary School, Brooks Elementary School, Fayette Middle School and Fayetteville Intermediate School. WAGA-TV reports two public hearings have already been held on the issue, and parents have voiced frustrations over how school transfers may impact their children.
Fayette Schools operates 32 schools and had an enrollment of 20,317 as of August 2012. --- Information from: WAGA-TV, http://www.myfoxatlanta.com © 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


More Local

Taste of Newnan to return Oct. 2

Main Street Newnan’s Taste of Newnan returns for its fall portion Thursday, Oct. 2 on the Court Square downtown. There will be tables ... Read More


CCMSAL Volleyball

Lee Middle will play in final game of tourney

The Coweta County School System finished its investigation into the allegations surrounding the Coweta County Middle School Athletic League ... Read More


Articulation Agreement

WGTC, LaGrange College sign on dotted line

West Georgia Technical College and LaGrange College have signed an articulation agreement for both institutions’ nursing programs. Th ... Read More


Grantville candidate event 6 p.m. tonight

Grantville residents will have a chance to meet the candidates for mayor and city council at an event tonight. Also, on Oct. 9, the Newnan- ... Read More


Altered EC photo sent to Chive website

This week an altered picture of East Coweta High School’s Internet homepage was posted to the international website The Chive. The al ... Read More

Hotel resident injured in grease fire

A woman’s hands were burned Wednesday morning after a grease fire started in her hotel room, but the room’s sprinkler system ext ... Read More