Fire department urges caution with fireworks
by WES MAYER
The Newnan Fire Department stresses the hazards of improperly using fireworks this Fourth of July.
“We have so many fun festivities within the city for the Fourth for the whole family to come and enjoy,” Newnan Fire Chief David Whitley said. “We advise citizens to attend these events rather than shoot fireworks at home. It is fun and safe, and there is less chance of an accident happening with fireworks that could turn deadly if not handled properly.”
According to fire department officials, it is important to understand the difference between a legal consumer firework and an illegal explosive device.
An illegal explosive device is almost always unlabeled and will not have a manufacturer’s name or include proper instructions on how to be used. Illegal devices include explosives such as M-80s, M-100s, blockbusters and quarterpounders, all which have been federally banned since 1966. Officials warn that these devices should not be bought or used, and any information about anyone selling these devices should be reported to the police. These devices are prone to cause serious injury or even death.
All homemade fireworks can be just as, if not more, deadly. Mixing and loading chemical powders can cause serious injury or death and should be left to professionals, officials say.
Fire department officials also warn on the safe use of legal fireworks.
Fireworks should not be given to children under any circumstances unless under complete adult supervision. Fireworks are not to be considered toys, and they can burn at approximately the same temperature as a household match. Even small fireworks such as sparklers can become dangerous if used improperly.
For more information, call the Newnan Fire Department at 770-253-1851.