Times-Herald among GPA award winners
The Newnan Times-Herald was among top winners in the 2013 Better Newspaper Contest of the Georgia Press Association, receiving 11 awards — including four first place awards.
Awards were presented at the association’s annual convention June 6-8 at Jekyll Island Club Hotel.
The Times-Herald competed in Division C for daily newspapers in Georgia with circulation of 8,000 to 14,999.
First place awards included:
• Hard News Writing, to Sarah Fay Campbell, for stories on the killing of a woman who had been involved with the CORRAL riding program in Roscoe, about Coweta father Robert Stokely’s trip to Iraq where his son died, and about a family facing utility bill problems. Judges commented: “The writer uses her skills to tell extraordinary stories about ordinary people — a murder of a well-loved woman, the combat death of a son and a father seeking answers, people at the mercy of a utility company. The writer gives a voice to the voiceless.”
• Feature Writing, to John Winters, for stories about a wreck victim, the story of a Drug Court graduate, and about the unsolved death of an area teen. Judges commented: “Wow. These stories are the tough ones to tell in our careers but the ones that stay with us throughout our lives. Each story has notes of tragedy, hope, sadness and joy — and truly represents the human experience.”
• Layout and Design, the first-place Hal M. Stanley Trophy. Judges commented: “Overall good flow and balance. Good use of color throughout.
• Education Coverage. Judges commented: “Sections incorporate great variety of education coverage on many issues. Use of sources, photos and graphics all enhance presentation.”
Second place awards included:
• Investigative Reporting, to John Winters, for stories about the unsolved death of an area teen. The award was presented along with Division B awards for larger daily papers with 15,000 to 39,000 circulation.
• Religion Coverage, to Winston Skinner, also presented along with Division B awards for larger daily papers with 15,000 to 39,000 circulation.
• Lifestyle Coverage.
• Sports Photograph, to Jeffrey Leo.
• Serious Column, to Alex McRae.
Third place awards included:
• Sports Section or Pages.
• Editorial Page.