Paving, painting being done at Arnall parking lot
by Wes Mayer
As crews were doing preparatory landscape work at the Gov. Ellis Arnall Parking Lot on the downtown’s east side this week, Newnan City Council Tuesday approved a contract change order for the second phase of work.
The Arnall Parking Lot is located along Perry Street between East Broad and East Washington streets. In recent months several large trees were removed where pavement had become buckled. Crews have created new planting beds and were preparing this week to repave the lot.
The change order approved Tuesday provides more than $35,000 for repaving and painting the lot.
In other business Tuesday:
• School Resource Officer contracts were renewed to include a sixth officer to patrol the five elementary schools in Newnan. Two officers are assigned to Newnan High School, and one officer is assigned to each of three schools – Central Educational Center, Winston Dowdell Academy and Evans Middle School.
• Beverage licenses were approved for a new business located at 10 The Crescent, and alcohol licenses were transferred to new personnel at the Kroger stores on Bullsboro Drive and Newnan Crossing Boulevard and the Red Lobster on Bullsboro.
• David Taylor was appointed indigent defense counsel for Newnan Municipal Court.
• Jim Markel was appointed to a four-year term on the Newnan Development Authority.
• Brandon Hand was appointed to a three-year term on the Urban Redevelopment Authority.
• Teresa Lovett was re-appointed to another three-year term on the Newnan Convention Center Authority.
• Thomas Baron was re-appointed to another three-year term on the Keep Newnan Beautiful Commission.
• Joan Crawford was re-appointed to another three-year term on the Keep Newnan Beautiful Commission.
• Della Hill was re-appointed to another three-year term on the Retirement Board.
• Nan Newman resigned from the Newnan Cultural Arts Commission.