Newnan plans sidewalk construction, road repair
by Celia Shortt
Sidewalk construction and road repair are set to begin later this month in Newnan.
Construction 57 Inc. will begin constructing new sidewalks on July 21 along four streets in Newnan.
The streets included are:
• The south side of First Avenue, from Buchanan Street to LaGrange Street.
• The south side of Roscoe Road, from Sherwood Drive to Christian Drive.
• The west side of Saint Clair Street, from Spring Street to Wesley Street.
• The north side of East Washington Street, from the railroad to Farmer Street.
According to Michael Klahr, public works director and city engineer for Newnan, surveyors for the project have begun “staking the limits for construction along First Avenue.”
Klahr said the next segment to be done will be along Roscoe Road.
For the road repair, Blount Construction Company Inc. will begin milling and resurfacing 11 roads starting July 28.
The roads included are:
• Robert Duke Place, from LaGrange Street to Sunny South Street.
• Nimmons Street, from LaGrange Street to Greenville Street.
• Woodlane Drive, from Woodbine Circle to the end of the street.
• Standish Court, from Dewey Street to Calhoun Street.
• Dixon Street, from Temple Avenue to Elm Circle.
• Elm Circle, from Dixon Street to Dixon Street. • Berry Avenue, from Farmer Street to Augusta Drive.
• Augusta Drive, from Berry Avenue to Jefferson Street.
• Edgewood Drive, from Christian Drive to Fontaine Drive.
• Richard Allen Drive, from Temple Avenue to West Washington Street.
• College Street, from Spring Street to Clark Street.
The repairs include milling off excess layers of asphalt before putting new asphalt down. The final height of the new road will match the existing gutter, where applicable.
Klahr also said thermoplastic stripe, stop bars and crosswalks, and reflective raised pavement markings will be installed once the paving is completed.
The work on Nimmons Street, Dixon Street, and Elm Circle should be completed by the start of the school year, and the work on Augusta Drive and Berry Avenue will be done in coordination with the construction of the new public safety complex.
The contract price for the new sidewalks is $318,224.50 and will be paid for from Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax funds. Construction 57 Inc. has 180 days to complete the work.
The road maintenance work will cost $542,945.48 and will also be paid for from SPLOST funding, as well as by a grant from the Georgia Department of Transportation. GDOT provided $260,000 for this project through the Local Maintenance Improvement Grant Program. Blount Construction has 120 days to “substantially complete the work.”