Senoia home severely damaged by garage fire

by Wes Mayer

alt

Photo by Jeffrey Leo

Coweta County firefighters were able to get the fire under control within 15 minutes, but both the home’s garage and two vehicles were a total loss.


A Senoia home was extensively damaged Wednesday after a fire which started in the garage quickly spread into the home’s attic.

Around 1:29 p.m., the Coweta County Fire Department was dispatched to 7 Joy Springs Drive in reference to a garage fire, said Assistant Fire Chief Mitch Coggin. Units from stations 3, 10, 12 and 15 arrived to find the 1,400-square-foot home’s garage and two vehicles fully involved in flames, and the fire was beginning to spread into the home’s attic space.

According to Coggin, a babysitter and three children were inside the home, and one child went outside and found the fire. The child then told the babysitter, and they were all able to safely exit the home and contact Coweta 911.

Firefighters were able to put the fire under control within 15 minutes, but the garage and two vehicles were a total loss and the rest of the home suffered from extensive damage, Coggin said. Units remained on scene until around 5 p.m. fighting hot spots, and the fire is still under investigation, but it is not considered suspicious at this time, Coggin said.



More Local

Taste of Newnan to return Oct. 2

Main Street Newnan’s Taste of Newnan returns for its fall portion Thursday, Oct. 2 on the Court Square downtown. There will be tables ... Read More


CCMSAL Volleyball

Lee Middle will play in final game of tourney

The Coweta County School System finished its investigation into the allegations surrounding the Coweta County Middle School Athletic League ... Read More


Articulation Agreement

WGTC, LaGrange College sign on dotted line

West Georgia Technical College and LaGrange College have signed an articulation agreement for both institutions’ nursing programs. Th ... Read More


Grantville candidate event 6 p.m. tonight

Grantville residents will have a chance to meet the candidates for mayor and city council at an event tonight. Also, on Oct. 9, the Newnan- ... Read More


Altered EC photo sent to Chive website

This week an altered picture of East Coweta High School’s Internet homepage was posted to the international website The Chive. The al ... Read More

Hotel resident injured in grease fire

A woman’s hands were burned Wednesday morning after a grease fire started in her hotel room, but the room’s sprinkler system ext ... Read More