Baccalaureate services usher in final week
The Coweta County School System’s 2013-14 school year comes to a close for students on Friday.
Ushering in the final week of school, Baccalaureate services are being held on Sunday by the graduating classes of all three Coweta County public high schools.
On Wednesday, West Georgia Technical College will recognize high school students earning certificates through dual-enrollment programs, and Thursday through Saturday, more than 1,500 graduates are expected to participate in commencement ceremonies at Coweta’s three high schools.
Attendees for this year’s commencement ceremonies at Northgate, Newnan and East Coweta high schools are encouraged to arrive early for parking at the three campuses. East Coweta High School – which holds its graduation ceremony on Saturday, May 24 – is encouraging attendees to use off-site parking at Lee Middle School, Willis Road Elementary School and Poplar Road Elementary School that morning, beginning at 7 a.m., and use shuttle buses provided for the ceremonies.
Final week ceremonies for high schools include:
• Baccalaureate Services – Sunday, 2 p.m. The graduating classes from all three high schools plan services at 2 p.m. on Sunday, including:
– Northgate High School, Crossroads Church (Highway 154)
– Newnan High School, First Baptist Church (Newnan)
– East Coweta High School, Centre for Performing and Visual Arts (Newnan) • Central Educational Center dual-enrollment graduation – Wednesday, 7 p.m. More than 200 Coweta County high school students who have earned certificates through dual-enrollment courses offered through West Georgia Technical College will be recognized at WGTC’s TechStart Graduation. WGTC will honor both adult students and high school dual-enrollment students attending the Central Educational Center that night, many of whom have earned certificates in multiple disciplines. State Representative Lynn Smith, R-Newnan, will address the graduates at the ceremony. • Graduation ceremonies:
– Northgate High School Graduation is Thursday at 7:30 p.m., Henry Seldon Field (Johnny Brown Gymnasium in case of rain). The Northgate High School 2014 Valedictorian is Maggie Shiffert and the Salutatorian is Brennan Lockwood.
– Newnan High School Graduation is Friday at 7:30 p.m., Drake Stadium (Bass Gymnasium in case of rain). The Newnan High School 2014 Valedictorian is Hannah Katherine Chapman and the Salutatorian is Annie Hass.
– East Coweta High School Graduation is Saturday, May 24, 9 a.m., Shoemake Stadium (Thrower Gymnasium in case of rain). The East Coweta High School 2014 Valedictorian is Amber Akbar and the Salutatorian is Ghe Jin “Rachel” Ahn. East Coweta High School will be offering the use of school system buses to transport people again this year, from parking sites at Lee Middle School, Willis Road Elementary School, and Poplar Road Elementary School. Each of the parking sites will be staffed with deputies for security purposes and volunteers who will assist with parking vehicles.
East Coweta’s off-site parking and bus service will help to alleviate parking congestion experienced at past graduations, and visitors are strongly encouraged to take advantage of the service, said school officials. People attending East Coweta’s graduation will be able to ride buses to the East Coweta campus beginning at 7 a.m., and bus service will continue running until all participants are back at their cars.
Parking for Northgate High and Newnan High’s evening graduations is on-campus. Attendees at all graduation ceremonies are encouraged to arrive early to allow for parking and making their way to seating at the schools’ stadiums.