UWG campus project on schedule
by Celia Shortt
The Newnan Hospital redevelopment project continues to remain on schedule despite the rain and severe weather Newnan has experienced since the start of the year.
“There is some great activity going on in that building,” said Newnan Business Development Director Hasco W. Craver IV at the Downtown Development Authority’s monthly meeting on Monday. “We’re on schedule to complete construction at the end of October, early November.”
Once the construction is completed, there will be a transition time as the University of West Georgia moves its Newnan campus from its current location in Shenandoah Industrial Park to the site of the old hospital on Jackson Street near downtown. Classes are expected to begin there in January 2015.
As of Monday’s meeting, Craver reported the roofing is in, and the construction crews are working on the underground systems on the Carmichael Street side of the building.
They are also working on the plumbing systems in the building, the floors, and pouring concrete pads. Next, they will be working on installing a sprinkler system, repairing mechanical issues, and framing drywall.
Craver also reported at the Downtown Development Authority’s May meeting that Main Street Newnan’s Spring Taste of Newnan was a success.
“It had the largest gross take since I’ve been here,” Craver said. “We received a lot of positive comments.”
Also at Monday’s meeting, Craver:
• told the DDA members he was planning on having the 2014 Fourth of July parade earlier in the day to make it more youth-oriented and participatory
• reported he would be meeting with Creative Signs Inc., the vendor for the downtown kiosk project, on Tuesday to determine the location of the new kiosks. He invited all the DDA members to attend.
• reported Main Street’s Screen on the Green event at First Avenue Park was a “huge success.” He and Newnan Main Street Manager Courtney Collins are working on the next one
• reported Main Street’s Summer Wined Up downtown wine tasting event will be Friday, June 13
• presented a financial report to the present DDA members.