Dog dies in house fire

by Wes Mayer

A family dog was the victim of a house fire that damaged the kitchen of a Coweta County home Monday.

Around 5:34 p.m., Coweta County Fire Department units were dispatched to a single- story structure fire on the 800-block of Summer McKoy Road, said Assistant Fire Chief Mitch Coggin. Units arrived and found the home’s kitchen on fire. A bystander who entered the home through the garage with a garden hose to fight the fire was also on the scene.

According to Coggin, 10 firefighters arrived, and while some made an aggressive interior attack and extinguished the fire in the kitchen, others searched the home for a family dog. The dog was found deceased in a pile of clothes in a bedroom.

Coggin said the fire was contained to the kitchen, but there was moderate smoke damage to the entire house.



More Local

10 Things to Know for Today

Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today: 1. NORTHEAST HUNKERS DOWN AS STORM T ... Read More


Breakdown: Grantville clerks leave town

It's a one-two punch that could put Grantville on the ropes. The recent resignations of longstanding city clerks Tonya Wheelus and Tracey To ... Read More


NPD arrests two shooting suspects

Authorities with the Newnan Police Department arrested two men suspected of being involved in recent shootings over the weekend. On Sunday, ... Read More


Newnan’s sole soup kitchen needs help

Perpetual Praise Community Resource Center in Newnan has plenty of food to continue feeding hot meals through its soup kitchen, called Savan ... Read More


Edgerton reads, sings, engages at local gathering

Clyde Edgerton read aloud, sang, laughed and clearly enjoyed being the second novelist to be part of the Anne Quinn Powell Authors’ Se ... Read More

Grantville mayor pro-tem

Gomez makes Georgia history

When Grantville Councilman Leonard Gomez was elected to serve as mayor pro-tem, he quietly made Georgia history. The appointment is a signif ... Read More