Dog dies in house fire

by Wes Mayer

A family dog was the victim of a house fire that damaged the kitchen of a Coweta County home Monday.

Around 5:34 p.m., Coweta County Fire Department units were dispatched to a single- story structure fire on the 800-block of Summer McKoy Road, said Assistant Fire Chief Mitch Coggin. Units arrived and found the home’s kitchen on fire. A bystander who entered the home through the garage with a garden hose to fight the fire was also on the scene.

According to Coggin, 10 firefighters arrived, and while some made an aggressive interior attack and extinguished the fire in the kitchen, others searched the home for a family dog. The dog was found deceased in a pile of clothes in a bedroom.

Coggin said the fire was contained to the kitchen, but there was moderate smoke damage to the entire house.



More Local

Fireworks to be rescheduled

Remembrance, patriotism, fun at Senoia Memorial Day

Senoia's 10th annual Memorial Day Remembrance and Festival was a “great day” of patriotism, remembrance, and family fun. At 3 p. ... Read More


Grantville Memorial Day

Alford says military fighting for Americans’ freedom

Memorial Day is a time for remembering those who died fighting for their country. At Grantville’s Memorial Day program, however, the f ... Read More


Also charged with terroristic threats

Son arrested after using nunchucks on father

A man was arrested Monday after he struck his father in the head with nunchucks and later told officers he wanted to become a cop-killer. Ab ... Read More


Woman injured in knife assault

Newnan police are investigating an assault that occurred last week and left a woman with multiple lacerations to both arms. About 3:40 p.m. ... Read More


NHS teachers present $5,000 to veterans

Two Newnan High School teachers presented $5,000 to local veterans organizations on Monday. Steve Quesinberry and Frankey Henderson presente ... Read More

Downtown Newnan Clean-Up event to be held Wednesday morning

Keep Newnan Beautiful in partnership with Main Street Newnan will be hosting a morning clean-up of the National Register Historic District D ... Read More