Garage fire spreads to Natures Cove home
by Wes Mayer
A Newnan area resident was transported to the hospital after a fire damaged his home Tuesday.
Around 1:37 p.m., firefighters with the Coweta County Fire Department responded to a two-story structure fire at 104 Natures Cove Road, said Assistant Fire Chief Alan Smith. Personnel with Engines 5 and 8, Truck 6, Rescue 1, and Cars 1, 2, 3 and 706 arrived to find the structure 15 percent involved in flames.
According to Smith, the fire started in the garage and spread into the home’s living room and then the second story.
A vehicle parked in front of the garage also caught on fire. Uncertain if any occupants were in the home — according to 911 dispatchers, the homeowners last reported they were going back inside to rescue their dog — firefighters made a fast attack on the fire, Smith said. Within 22 to 25 minutes, the fire was under control.
The occupants of the home were both able to get out of the home safely, but one homeowner was transported by ambulance to Piedmont Newnan Hospital to treat possible smoke inhalation injuries, Smith said. Fire personnel were on scene for about two-and-a-half hours, and although most of the home suffered from smoke damage, only 20 percent was damaged by water and fire.