Lukens fills post on Convention Center Authority
by Celia Shortt
The Newnan Convention Center Authority swore in Tom Lukens as its newest member at the regular November meeting on Thursday.
“We welcome you, Tom, and thank you for your interested,” said Newnan Convention Center Authority Chairman Parks Avery.
“I feel honored,” responded Lukens.
Newnan City Councilman Bob Coggins recommended Tom Lukens’ appointment, which was approved at the Nov. 12 Newnan City Council meeting. He fills one of the seats left vacant by Don Bowen and Kathy Sandlin. The NCCA is awaiting Mayor Keith Brady’s appointment for the vacant seat.
Avery also gave an update on the new second entrance for the complex housing The Centre meeting facility and school system’s Centre for Performing and Visual Arts off Lower Fayetteville Road. The city council approved the design for the entrance, and Newnan City Manager Cleatus Phillips said the bid process would start the first of the year.
“Look for [the construction] to start late in the first quarter,” said Avery.
During construction, Lower Fayetteville Road will not be closed. It will, however, be reduced to one lane for several days during the project to construct a roundabout.
Other business at Thursday’s meeting included:
• The authority is still in communications with the builder interested in putting a hotel near the Centre. Avery said that last week he heard the builder group had completed their initial inspection and were continuing the process.
• In her report, The Newnan Centre Executive Director Carol Moore said that corporate business is picking up. The Newnan-Coweta Chamber of Commerce will start having some of its events at the Centre, beginning in 2014, including its Early Bird breakfasts. The Early Bird breakfasts are currently monthly, but are switching to quarterly. The Chamber’s annual meeting will also be held at the Centre.
• Summit Church will begin meeting at the Centre every Sunday, starting in February 2014.
• Moore also shared new advertising plans, the financial report, occupancy report, and signage designs.
• Authority member Theresa Lovett was appointed as the body’s secretary.