34th annual Old South Marching Festival Saturday
Newnan High School Marching Band will be host to the 34th annual Old South Marching Festival and Competition Saturday at Drake Stadium, located on the Newnan High School campus.
Bands from across Georgia and as far away as Tennessee have entered for the chance to be named “Grand Champions.”
The day’s activities will begin shortly after noon. Some 22 bands will showcase their talent for a panel of distinguished judges who will score them in various categories including: general effect, visual and music, colorguard, percussion, majorettes/dance corps, and drum majors.
Throughout the day there will be vendors on hand selling food, band gear, hats, T-shirts and other items.
The Newnan High School Marching Cats will give an exhibition performance Saturday evening while scores are being tabulated. Trophies will be awarded for each classification from 1A to 5A schools. The day’s activities will conclude with the naming of a “Grand Champion” based on the highest overall scores.
“Old South has become a great tradition for Newnan High School. It really is a fun, energy-filled, festival type atmosphere,” said John Erdogan, director of bands for NHS. “Our students, staff and parents work hard to make Old South an exciting day. The fact that this is our 34th year hosting attests to its success.” Admission for the day-long festival is $7.
Bands competing Saturday and the scheduled performance times are:
• Henry County High School, McDonough, 12:15 p.m.
• Dodge County High School, Eastman, 12:30 p.m.
• Callaway High School, Hogansville, 12:45 p.m.
• Washington-Wilkes High School, Washington, 1 p.m.
• Hixson High School, Hixson, TN, 1:30 p.m.
• Banks County High School, Homer, 1:45 p.m.
• Mt. Paran Christian High School, Kennesaw, 2 p.m.
• Luella High School, Locust Grove, 2:15 p.m.
• Rockdale High School, Conyers, 2:45 p.m.
• Duluth High School, Duluth, 3 p.m.
• Pike County High School, Zebulon, 3:15 p.m.
• Johns Creek High School, Johns Creek, 3:30 p.m.
• Centennial High School, Roswell, 4 p.m.
• River Ridge High School, Woodstock, 4:15 p.m.
• Effingham County High School, Springfield, 5:40 p.m.
• Creekview High School, Canton, 6 p.m.
• Flowery Branch High School, Flowery Branch, 6:20 p.m.
• East Paulding High School, Dallas, 6:40 p.m.
• Whitewater High School, Fayetteville, 7 p.m.
• Milton High School, Milton, 7:20 p.m.
• East Coweta High School, Sharpsburg, 7:40 p.m.
• Lassiter High School, Marietta, 8 p.m.
• Newnan High School, 8:15 p.m.
• Awards ceremony, 8:30 p.m.