Reorganization of two county departments on commission agendaBy SARAH FAY CAMPBELL
Reorganization of two county departments is on the agenda for Tuesday's meeting of the Coweta County Board of Commissioners.
The commissioners meet at 6 p.m. in the county commission chambers on Perry Street.
The county previously combined its public affairs and personnel departments.
The proposal changes the name of Development and Engineering to the Transportation and Engineering department. The transportation planner position will be transferred from Planning and Zoning to transportation and engineering. The plan would also eliminate the assistant director position and would reclassify the staff engineer and right-of-way specialist positions and transfer one stormwater GIS technician to the IT department's GIS division.
The move would save $70,000 in salaries, according to agenda materials.
The IT reorganization would reclassify and restructure several supporting positions, and would save approximately $45,000 in salaries.
Other items to come before the board include:
• A request for funding for two additional school resource officers. The county currently splits the cost of SROs with the Coweta County School System. The city of Newnan has a similar agreement for schools within the city limits.
The cost would be $72,000 a year for the salaries and benefits, and $5,000 each for equipment for the new SROs.
• Purchase of an additional fingerprint capture system for the Coweta County Sheriff's Office. The cost is $7,250.
• Acceptance of the recent grand jury presentments.
• Confirmation of personnel actions.
• An amendment to the morgue services agreement with Heard County. The amendment extends the current agreement from May 15 to Dec. 31, to allow the county to complete consruction of a new county morgue.