Moreland home damaged in fire

By JOHN A. WINTERS
john@newnan.com
A single-family home in Moreland was heavily damaged in a Friday morning fire, but no one was hurt.
The Coweta County Fire Department was called to the residence, 545 Moccasin Road, just before 10 a.m., said Assistant Chief Jeff Denney.
The initial call was that a propane tank was on fire, but when firefighters arrived they found the house was already about 40 percent involved, Denney said, adding three residents were already outside.
There were no nearby hydrants along the road so firefighters brought in tanker trucks to supply water to fight the fire, he said. Seventeen firefighters were at the scene.
“Considering the age of this house and the heavy wind conditions, this structure could have burnt to the ground, but the guys on-scene did what they needed to do and were able to suppress the fire before that happened,” Denney said. “However, heavy damage was sustained.”


More Local

Special observance planned at NHS

Newnan High School has partnered with the Department of Defense (DOD) in commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War and will be h ... Read More


Suspect nabbed in woods

Meth, bath salts dealer arrested

A man suspected of distributing an odd mixture of methamphetamine and bath salts was arrested by Coweta County authorities after he attempte ... Read More


Pre-kindergarten registration starts on Monday

Registration for pre-kindergarten classes will start Monday at schools in Coweta County. “Parents who wish to secure a spot for their ... Read More


Transportation funding bill passes House

‘It’s killing our county, Absolutely killing us’ By Sarah Fay Campbell sarah@newnan.com The transportation funding bill th ... Read More


School system monitoring roads for black ice Friday

With cold temperatures sweeping in after rainy weather today, Coweta County students were sent home with a note to parents warning of possib ... Read More

Coweta Commission

Fire department to provide limited EMS

The Coweta County Fire Department will officially take over Coweta’s emergency medical services on May 1, but starting this week, fire ... Read More