Newnan Notes: October events setBy GINA SNIDER
City of Newnan Public Information Officer
Here are some upcoming Main Street Newnan events for October.
• The 2012 Oktoberfest Boutique Beer Tasting will be taking place on Friday from 5 to 9 p.m. in downtown Newnan. Many downtown locations will be offering a sample of “boutique” or “craft” beer to participants.
• Munchkin Masquerade will be taking place on Oct. 31 from 10 a.m. to noon in downtown Newnan. This annual event draws all of our littlest ghosts and goblins to the downtown area for Halloween fun!
Please visit www.mainstreetnewnan.com for more information about upcoming events.
* * *
The Carnegie is now offering notary services. Come by and get your document notarized.
The Carnegie schedule of events is:
• Monday, Oct. 22, 10:30 a.m., Carnegie Literary Circle – this month’s selection is “My Antonia” by Willa Cather. New members welcome.
• Monday, Oct. 22, 2:30 p.m., Gentle Yoga – Instructor Elizabeth Dorsey guides gentle yoga exercises for stress relief, flexibility, stretching and strengthening. Wear comfortable clothes.
• Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2:30 p.m., A Writers’ Exchange – Writers of all skill levels gather to exchange ideas and work on their skills. Publisher Swanee Ballman will present a program, “Am I on the Right Track?”. Bring in five pages of your work for critique.
• Wednesday, Oct. 24, 7-9 p.m. “The Carnegie – After Hours.” The Carnegie is open special hours and will feature a live radio broadcast starting at 8 p.m. All first floor services including computers and honor book system will be available.
• Wednesday, Oct. 24, 7 p.m. Ghost Hunters – Join Ghost Hunters Christine and Gillian Barber who will bring paranormal detection equipment to find the ghosts at the Carnegie!
• Thursday, Oct. 25, 2:30 p.m. “Black Velvet – Supernatural Assassin” – Author Vina Kent shares her journey in writing and her series of books.
• Friday, Oct. 26, 2 p.m. Armchair Travelers – “There’s No Place Likeâ ¦Madagascar?” – World photographer, Gordon Kilgore, shares his photo images and travel stories of Madagascar.
Reservations required for all programs. Call 770-683-1347 to reserve your spot.
* * *
There was one new occupational tax certificate issued by the city. The business names is Shabby Styles. For more information on these businesses, contact the Finance department at 770-253-2682.
* * *
October is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month, and that means it’s time to celebrate all things canine and get more homeless pups into forever homes. A recent poll showed that people who adopted a dog from a shelter were much more likely to be pleased with their experience than those who purchased a puppy from a pet store. Shelter dog adopters are also almost twice as likely, compared to pet store customers, to feel that the process by which they got their dog was honest and transparent.
When you adopt a dog and/or cat from the local shelter, your pet will already be vaccinated, spay/neutered AND microchipped. Also, if you stop in at our local shelter they have a board that is “featured pets.” These pets are free to a good home and come ready to go so PLEASE stop in at our local shelter.
Get Involved — There are tons of ways to get involved this October, ranging from sending a single tweet to volunteering at your local shelter and/or humane society. Remember — there are millions of wonderful, adorable dogs in our country who need homes, so please opt to adopt!
* * *
For more news and events in the City of Newnan, log on to www.ci.newnan.ga.us .