Newspaper receives 12 news awards from GPAFrom Staff Reports
The Newnan Times-Herald received 12 awards, including second place in General Excellence among the state’s medium-circulation daily newspapers, in the Georgia Press Association’s 2012 Better Newspaper Contest.
The awards were announced at the Better Newspaper Contest Banquet during the Georgia Press Association annual convention held recently at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort in Miramar Beach, Fla.
The Newnan Times-Herald competed with daily papers across the state in the division for newspapers with reader circulation of 8,000 to 14,999.
First place awards were received for: Page One layout and design; in Community Service, for the newspaper’s 14-week series saluting Vietnam veterans and sharing their stories; by staff writer Sarah Fay Campbell in Feature Writing; and by Sports Editor Chris Goltermann for Sports Writing.
Second place awards in addition to the General Excellence plaque were received in categories including: Local News Coverage; in the Special Issues category for last fall’s Vietnam veterans salute edition that compiled the stories from the year’s special focus in recognition of the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War; an individual award to Publisher Sam Jones for Editorial Writing; staff writer Alex McRae for Humorous Column; and to staff writer Doug Gorman for Sports Writing.
Third place awards were presented for: Investigative Reporting, to staff writer John Winters; and for The Newnan Times-Herald’s magazine product, Newnan-Coweta Magazine, for its 2011 gardening issue.
Also, in the separate 2012 Georgia Press Association advertising contest, The Newnan Times-Herald won eight first place and four second place awards.
Advertising first-place awards were in categories including:
• Food: Saza’s.
• Home Furnishings and Appliances: Hollberg’s Fine Furniture.
• Non-Traditional: 50 Things To Do This Summer.
• Miscellaneous: Main Street Newnan.
• Online Banner Ad: Main Street Newnan.
• Full Color Ad: Primecare Pediatrics.
• Spot Color Ad: Brother’s.
• Newspaper Promotion: We Won! ad.
Second place awards in the advertising contest included:
• Home Furnishings and Appliances: Verlo Mattress.
• Online Banner Ad: Glendalough Manor.
• Newspaper Promotion: Coweta’s Choice for Local News.
• Special Section: Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall.