Busy day of Fourth activities planned in Coweta; events set in Newnan, Grantville and Moreland
By W. WINSTON SKINNER
Today’s calendar is full of events celebrating America’s birthday.
Independence Day events are being held in the Coweta cities of Newnan, Moreland and Grantville.
Rainy weather could lead some events – particularly those being held outdoors – to be postponed. On the schedule for today are:
• 8 a.m. Indoor yard sale, fellowship hall, Moreland United Methodist Church. Ends at noon.
• 8:30 a.m. Patriotic bicycle/ tricycle parade, front of Moreland United Methodist Church. Cash prizes. Sponsor: Moreland Community Historical Society. Patriotic dog contest with prizes to follow.
• 9 a.m. opening ceremonies, Puckett Stations Arts and Crafts Festival, town square, Moreland. National Anthem, flag ceremony. Arts and crafts festival continues through 3 p.m.
• 10 a.m., genealogy research, Coweta County Genealogical Society Research Center, old freight depot, Grantville.
• 10 a.m., July 4 parade, Carrollton, from Dairy Queen to Kmart.
• 11 a.m., Community barbecue, Lewis Grizzard Memorial Pavilion, behind Moreland Mill. Plates, $8 each.
• 4 p.m., One-man drama about George Washington, John C. Meadows log cabin adjacent to Grantville ball park. Writer/actor – David Wilson. Free.
• 4 p.m., Fourth of July Expo, Drake Field, Peachtree City. Events sponsored by fire/ rescue/ police departments until 7 p.m.
• 6 p.m., Main Street Newnan Fourth of July Parade. Starts at Veterans Memorial Plaza at Jackson Street and Temple Avenue. Moves along Jackson Street, through the Court Square and ends at Drake Stadium, Newnan High School. Newnan Rotary Club program starts at stadium after parade.
• 7:30 p.m., July 4 entertainment, Carrollton Elementary School. Fireworks at 9:30 p.m.
• 9:30 p.m. Fireworks, Drake Stadium, Newnan High School. Sponsor: Newnan Rotary Club.