Hose lynching infamous chapter in local history

By W. Winston Skinner
The 1899 lynching of Sam Hose is one of the most infamous – and unknown – chapters in Coweta County history.
The horrific killing of Hose at Troutman Field just north of Newnan made headlines around the world in the weeks after it occurred. The lynching has been explored by several scholars and is the main topic of at least one book.
When a group sought to remember those events in 2006, however, many Cowetans had never heard of the case. The lynching which grew attention and approbation around the world merited a single sentence in the 1928 history book, “Coweta County Chronicles”: “Newnan was given undeserved and undesired nation-wide publicity when a mob brought Sam Hose, caught at Griffin, Ga., after one of the most fiendish and horrifying crimes at Palmetto in the annals of the State, to one of her suburbs and burned him.”
The killing of Sam Hose came during a time of unrest and social and racial upheaval. The federal government – more colorblind than the states – had appointed black postmasters in some small Southern towns, including nearby Hogansville, provoking an angry response from leading white citizens in the 1890s.
On March 16, 1899, nine black men – accused of arson in the burning of downtown buildings in Palmetto – were lined against a brick wall and shot by vigilantes who were likely prominent area residents.
Then on April 12, 1899, prominent farmer Alfred Cranford was murdered at his Coweta County home, located on the property where Northgate High School is today. His wife, Mattie, was raped, and one of their children injured.

Immediately, officials – and ordinary citizens – began looking for Hose, a black farmhand on the Cranford place.

The murder of Alfred Cranford and the subsequent lynching of Sam Hose comprise a tragedy in which there are no winners. Cranford, 26, was dead — his head split by an axe. His wife, Mattie, not quite 25, was left a widow, the humiliation of her rape spread on the pages of the newspaper of her hometown and publications around the world. There was even a detailed speech about the attack on the floor of the U.S. Congress.

She left her rural home and moved to Newnan where she led a quiet, somber existence — taking in sewing to support her family. Until her death in 1922, she spent most of her time at home and never changed her account of what happened on April 12, 1899.

Her youngest son, Clifford Alfred “Tan” Cranford, was blind in his left eye as a result of the injuries he received that day. The nickname came about because other children tried to call him “Poor Thing” because of his injuries.

Hose, 21, died in horrific pain. Several of the people who helped kill him had emotional difficulties afterward. In 2006, a Coweta retiree recalled that a relative who took part “regretted it all his life.”

The site where the lynching occurred, located across U.S. 29 from the entrance to Sprayberry’s Barbecue, was vacant for years, and some local residents were astounded when a home was built on the tract — although at some distance from the site of Hose’s death. “Ripples,” a columnist for the Herald and Advertiser, a predecessor of The Times-Herald, proclaimed the spot haunted with “the wail of the hobgoblin and the rattle of chains,” less than two weeks after Hose died.

Sam Hose — who was also known as Sam Holt — was from Marshallville in middle Georgia. His real name was Tom Wilkes, and newspaper accounts in 1899 stated he had been accused of assaulting an elderly black woman there and had fled Macon County and taken on a new identity.

He came to work at the Cranford farm. Some sources indicate Alfred Cranford was dissatisfied with the quality of Hose’s work. Others allege a disagreement over pay between Cranford and Hose.

Newspaper accounts from 1899 indicate the Cranfords were sitting down to a meal at their home when Hose killed Alfred Cranford, raped his wife and threw their infant son to the floor.

Hose left the area and fled to Marshallville where his mother lived on a farm. The owner of the farm and his brother found Hose and accompanied him on a train headed to Atlanta where a reward awaited. A total of $1,600 was offered — $500 from the Atlanta Constitution, $500 from Gov. Allen Candler, $250 from Coweta County, $250 from the city of Palmetto and $100 from Jacob Haas of Atlanta.

At Griffin, Hose and the Jones brothers were removed from the train at gunpoint, according to “At the Hands of Persons Unknown” by Philip Dray. A locomotive, coal car and coach were assembled to take Hose from Griffin to Newnan. A mob in Newnan took Hose from the railroad depot on Broad Street through town. Former Gov. W. Y. Atkinson and Judge Alvan Freeman unsuccessfully pleaded with the crowd to allow Hose to be taken to jail.

Hose was taken to the home of the P.M. McLeroys, the parents of Mattie Cranford. Mrs. McLeroy asked Hose why he had killed Alfred Cranford. According to the Herald and Advertiser, Hose said that “Lige” Strickland had promised him $20 if he would kill the farmer.

Although some accounts indicate as many as 2,000 people attended the lynching, the actual number probably was much smaller. The Herald and Advertiser estimated the crowd at 500. Trains were chartered to bring some 1,500 Atlantans to the lynching, but Hose was dead before the trains arrived.

Some scholars suggest the mob, hearing of the trains, feared they would contain soldiers who might stop them before they killed Hose.

The first plan apparently was to take Hose to the Cranford farm and lynch him. The mob stopped, however, at Forksville, then a rural area outside the city. Hose was chained to a tree and tortured for “almost a half hour,” according to Dray.

His ears, fingers and genitals were severed. He was then doused with kerosene and set afire. Dray records Hose’s last words as “Sweet Jesus.”

On April 24, Elijah Strickland, a black minister who lived on the farm of W.W. Thomas in northern Coweta County, was hanged from a tree. The Herald and Advertiser reported Thomas sought to save Strickland, who three times maintained his innocence before he was hanged.

Strickland’s ears and a finger were also cut off before he was hanged.

The incidents were reported in newspapers across the country and overseas. Ida Wells-Barnett, a black journalist working in Chicago, used the Hose case as part of her ongoing anti-lynching campaign. “It became kind of a rallying cry,” Dr. Edwin “Chip” Arnold stated in 2006.

Wells-Barnett and a group of Chicago citizens paid a white detective, Louis P. LeVin, to come to Georgia to investigate. LeVin’s report stated he was unable to talk to Mattie Cranford. The report, in fact, does not name a single person to whom LeVin spoke, although he states he received information Hose told others. In at least one published account of LeVin’s report, he repeatedly refers to the town as “Newman,” raising the question of whether he ever came to Coweta County at all.

The mainstream press of 1899 referred to Hose as “the black beast” and “the monster.” Those who advocated his cause often cast Mattie Cranford as “a very cunning figure,” Arnold said in 2006. “To turn Sam Hose into a martyr, you have to turn the Cranfords into liars.”

”No one alive knows what happened at the Cranford home on April 12, 1899,” John Herbert Cranford, great-grandson of Alfred and Mattie, wrote in a statement prepared for The Times-Herald six years ago. The local judge wrote his family has “indirectly suffered from the unlawful actions of the mob” because there was no trial and, therefore, no presentation of evidence or legal conclusion regarding Hose’s status.

Arnold wrote a book about the lynching and the news coverage surrounding it. “What Virtue There is in Fire” – first published in 2009 – was released in paperback earlier this year.

The Sam Hose case continues unresolved both legally and historically. “Nobody knows what happened that night,” Arnold once observed. “Nobody can know.”

More Local

4-year-old brother witnessed attack

Man charged with raping fiancee’s daughter

Coweta County Sheriff’s deputies arrested a Sharpsburg man for the rape of a 12-year-old. According to Lt. Col. James Yarbrough with t ... Read More

Meth, pills and shotgun found during search

Two men are in jail after police discovered a Pandora's box of contraband. On Monday, members from the Newnan Police Department responded to ... Read More

Coweta Commission

Hearing set on open meetings suit against county

The active lawsuit against Coweta County over the retirement agreement with former Coweta County Deputy Fire Chief Todd Moore was brought up ... Read More

Georgia Power finalizing timeline for ash pond closures

Georgia Power has announced it is developing a timeline to close its 29 ash ponds. The schedule will be developed in response to the Environ ... Read More

County tax bills mailed

Many Cowetans checking their mailboxes in the past few days have pulled out an envelope reminding them of a yearly duty – the bill for ... Read More

Animals blessed at St. George

Father Henry Atem, right, uses an aspergillum to sprinkle Holy Water on two canines owned by Jessica Kuhn, left, and her son, Juliano, at th ... Read More