Peachtree City Police warn of ID theftFrom Special Reports
The Peachtree City Police Department has had several types of identity theft and fraud over the past few months.
These include offenders opening credit cards and utilities while using the name of a victim; offenders stealing money from bank accounts or charging goods to credit cards; and, offenders filing false tax returns using the names of victims, said spokesperson Capt. Rosanna Dove.
• Stealing pieces of mail from mailboxes.
• Obtaining credit reports by posing as landlords or employer.
• Internet phishing scams.
• “Dumpster Divers” who visit landfills and dumpsters to find discarded personal information.
There are numerous ways to help prevent becoming the victim of identity theft and fraud. The following are just a few of them:
• Destroy documents using a cross-cut shredder before discarding them.
• Cut up or disfigure numbers on credit cards or bank cards before discarding them.
• Remove all identifying information from junk mail before throwing it out or recycling it.
• Install a mailbox with a lock and a slot.
• Remove mail promptly after it is delivered.
• Keep your credit card in sight when a salesperson has it.